THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange problem with Savage Tactical 300WinMag!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had a guy bring a Savage Tactical in the shop with a very strange problem! Terrific trigger(old 110 without Accu-trigger). When the bolt is cycled and muzzle is pointed down, works flawlessly........pull trigger, cycle bolt, fire again. IF the muzzle is pointed anywhere over horizontal in an upward position, pull trigger, cycle bolt and the safety does not full return to safe but the trigger is blocked! Push safety to "ON" then push forward and it will fire! Question is: Did someone file the sear or some other part(didn't dissemble all the way to check) and go to far thereby letting the safety "float" when the bolt is cycled? STRANGE BEAST! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
First of all, how loose is the safety? Cock the gun, push the safety forward, lift the muzzle, the safety should not move. If it is sliding out of position then it needs to be adjusted so that it stays put. This combined with a too tight setting on the triggers over travel adjustment can cause a problem similar to what you describe. I would back off all the screws and start from scratch.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
(legal disclaimer - don't try this at home) [i hate "trigger jobs" that are just hacked all to....]
trigger pull on the pre-accutrigger savages is controled by a castle nut.. it was (is?) suggested to lighted by filing a set of cross slots to add travel and "fine tuning" to the trigger...

notice "how far" that nut has been run down, and count the amount you back out.. i would start with a couple full turns out to determine if the "trigger job" had been the issue.

rifle basix makes a trigger for these rifles, and it's worthwhile

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote