Find
Notify
Tools

G33/40 Alternative
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking about scarcity of G33/40s.

Is there an action that is similar ie.. small ring/small thread,standard length.That is considered a good high quality action for a custom gun.

They wouldn't have the lightening cuts.
Could always have a gunsmith make a few lighting cuts.And have a more easily obtanied light weight action.

Husky's come to mind but what models? Any other actions that would be of comparable quality.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Short Action Model 70s can be smithed a bit to make a great small action. Much better metalurgy than the 33/40s and you already have a good trigger and safety. Just change the bolt knob, add some weld to the bolt stop release, change the bottom metal, put on some custom bases, and away you go.

Another good action are the 1936 Mexican if you can find one.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
On the Husky's, the 1640 would be it, but it doesn't have the classic Mauser bolt release so most would disqualify it from Mauser status.

I think it's kind of fitting these nicer mauser actions are getting harder to find. The truely talented gunsmiths that build customs with them are getting scarce too.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the other small ring Mausers all bring a premium as well. And when you pay a gunamker to make the cuts, then you will likely have more in the action than just buying a G33/40 to begin with.

If you want one, you have to fork over the cash or look at thousands of sporterized Mausers and hope you stumble across one.

And as far as good smiths who can build rifles on these actions. THERE ARE MORE NOW THEN THERE HAVE EVER BEEN IN HISTORY! THe level of talent is so far above what was here just 30 years ago.

That statement makes about as much sense as those who say that all of the good walnut is gone and the supplies are dwindling. There is MORE good walnut availible now and will be for the next several generations to come. If you read things written by the old English gunmakers, they thought the walnujt supply had dried up too.

These statements are the type that get written by gun magazine writers who do not know what is going on and just repeat some mantra they have heard. Readers then take it as gospel and regurgitate it without knowing the thruth. WHAT HAS DRIED UP IS THE SUPPLY OF GOOD GUN WRITERS! There are still a few good ones, but not nearly as many as it was 20-30 years ago.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

And as far as good smiths who can build rifles on these actions. THERE ARE MORE NOW THEN THERE HAVE EVER BEEN IN HISTORY! THe level of talent is so far above what was here just 30 years ago.

That statement makes about as much sense as those who say that all of the good walnut is gone and the supplies are dwindling. There is MORE good walnut availible now and will be for the next several generations to come. If you read things written by the old English gunmakers, they thought the walnujt supply had dried up too.

These statements are the type that get written by gun magazine writers who do not know what is going on and just repeat some mantra they have heard. Readers then take it as gospel and regurgitate it without knowing the thruth. WHAT HAS DRIED UP IS THE SUPPLY OF GOOD GUN WRITERS! There are still a few good ones, but not nearly as many as it was 20-30 years ago.

I don't read gun magazines so I have no idea what in the hell you're referring to with your comments. My statements are based on actual experience of trying to get a few of these built over the years. I'm not talking about barrel plumbers, yes there are plenty of those. If I lower my standards then yes there are plenty of folks that can put a rifle together.

Good walnut? What the hell does that have to do with this thread or anything I wrote? Nobody wrote the first thing about walnut. You should start another thread and go on a tirade there. What is your problem anyway? There isn't any need to be abrasive. I don't agree with half the crap you write either.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1-
you are 100% correct. My post reads all whacked out. I appologize to you thatI did not pay more attention to what I was trying to say and try to get my point across a little better and a lot less antagonistic. Seriously.

OK, I will try again:

I was a little surprised to read that you aree finding it difficult to find good gunmaking talent. What jobs have you been having trouble getting built? Is it in general, or are there specific tasks that are hard to get built?

Please be sure I am not saying you are wrong, only that I have not heard of people having problems like that. If there are certain things you would like done, maybe I could think of someone who could help you out. Seriously, I am just trying to help out here

And as for not agreeing with each others, hopefully we can be like O'Connor and Kieth-drastically different views on guns, but still friends noe the less. I know I will be more careful with how I word things in the future.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok so I guess if a person wants the features of a G33/40, the choise is... buy a g33/40!

The reason I asked was not so much the cost , rather the availabilty or just finding one period.I so rarely see one for sale. An action that is.

I'm not looking for one yet. But that may change soon.It seems like such a neat action to build a long throated 7x57 on. Being so light and trim.

I didn't know if most of the features could be had by modifing a differnt more easly availble action and some gunsmithing.

Thats good to know. If we want a G33/40 type action just wait till we find one.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is what I did Allen. I have 5 G33/40's and just kept my eyes open and picked them up when the price was OK. Look at ANY Mauser sporter you see. The early ones were often on 33/40 actions.

I have one of the actions barreled up and just about ready to stock for a personal rifle. The others I have just for future projects. Well, one of them is in full military trim and I would hate to cut it up. I may do it, but would prefer to trade a Mauser collector for a sporteried action or something.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Marc, all is forgotten. Thank you for your generous offer but I think everything is under control.

Terry