New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L61 R Action ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have such an action in mint condition and qustion is, will it work with the 404Jeffery round. I don't doubt the strength, but can the bolt face, feeding issues be reasonably dealt with by a good 'smith?? Just bought the rifle few weeks ago and it is a 270 Win. Appreciate any input.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have a 'custom' built on a magnum length/bolt face in .375 H&H. While its a fine piece I now regret the choice of the Sako.

At the time I did not appreciate the benefits of CRF (controlled round feed) and a three position safety.

The Sako is just a push feed with a plunger ejector. Leave it in 270 and move on to something suitable.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Savage_99,
I would say good suggestion, appreciate the feedback. Mine is one of those early H&R Ultra Rifles w/ Douglas barrel, hence the Ultra name, and it shoots an easy 1/2 moa for 3 shots, but after that, it is really opening up. Heat w/ the thin tube is issue and will probably leave it in 270 but replace the barrel with one of more metal. Don't mind the extra weight, but never did care for those pencil type barrels.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I converted a Win 70, Post-64 PF to .404 Jeffrey from a .300 WinMag. My first brass was .375 RUM re-formed to .404 and I had NO troubles using it without altering the bolt face. Of course the RUM case has a slightly rebated head so that Remington didn't have to alter the bolt face of the 700 Magnums. The .404 Jeffrey rim diameter is .537" and the RUM/Belted Mag rim is .530. That may seem like a lot but apparently, there was enough slop in the bolt face dimension of my rifle to negate any problems. Even BELL .404 brass worked just fine. If your SAKO bolt face needed altering, (sorry, just looked again and saw it was a standard bolt face). Of course the bolt face would need opening and extractor altered or replaced. The big thing would be to alter the feed rails so that it didn't pop out of the magazine until at least 1/3 of the case was already into the chamber. I had Dennis Olson of Plains, MT do mine and the only complaint I had was that it took him 23 1/2 months to do the job. I think even he felt embarrased because he sent the rifle to me without payment being made. I did however, pay him promptly. The rifle feeds beautifully. He did say that he wouldn't work on a push feed action so I'd call him first. He actually converted mine to a CRF action, looking just like Model 70 Classic except for the PF cocking piece. There are other people around who will do as good a job for you.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Masterifleman,
Thanks for the detailed feed back. I have big bore bolt guns, but do like the Sako L61 R action and just brain storming as to what to convert it to caliber wise. I believe I will like the rifle more than I do now once I get a heavier barrel on it and probably leave it as a 270. Always used 30 caliber or above to hunt with, but now see why such a following of the 270 round. I lived and breathed Jack O'Connor "in the day," but just a slow learner I guess.