Find
Notify
Tools

Surely this is not normal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted
Gas operated 12g semi-auto shotgun chambered for 3" (76mm) cartridges. The opened petals of fired cartridges are still slightly inside the chamber when the head of the extracted cartridge hits the ejector. Fired 3" shells that do actually eject from the gun show some damage to the mouth of the case and land close to the gun i.e. not being flung well away as 2 3/4" (70mm) cases do.

Manufacturer says there is no problem with the general structure (sic) of the gun and suggest the problem is from the claw of the mechanism (sic), which I take to mean the claw extractor.

The extractor has been replaced after breaking which I'm of the opinion was caused by 3" cartridges where the extractor has come under higher than normal loading during the extraction/ejection cycle.

Surely this cannot be normal? Have these semi-autos been made for 2 3/4" cartridges then just chambered for 3" without thought for proper clearances of the longer fired cases?
The gun works perfectly with 2 3/4" cartridges and does feed and fire 3" cartridges but just doesn't properly eject 3".

3" case sitting in barrel extension showing head against ejection button and case mouth still inside chamber mouth.

3" case inside the action in position where ejection would take place showing case mouth still inside the chamber mouth.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So who is the mfg ?

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like the kicker is positioned for a 2.75" round to me. Picture of the claw extractor and make and model please.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Akkar (Turkey). The guns are now marketed as Churchill and earlier, Chas Daly.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Sure looks like the kicker is positioned for a 2.75" round to me. Picture of the claw extractor and make and model please.

Make is Akkar, Model is Atlay 212.
The extractor is a fairly standard spring loaded hook positioned in the breech block dead opposite the ejector button. The images are of my left hand Atlay, two of my sons have right hand Atlays. All three guns are the same in terms of the 3" shell ejection issue.

I had thought of attempting to re-position the ejector button (kicker). The hole for the button is drilled right through the barrel extension and the button seems to be same diameter pressed into the extension, flush with the outside of the extension i.e. not having a seating/rivet head on the end. Only concerns would be; could I press out and reuse the existing button and how hard would the extension be to drill.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If you bought the gun new, I'd be inclined to ask for my money back, even if it is out of warranty - you could tell the dealer you didn't try magnum shells until afterwards but that your discovery proves it is "not of merchantable quality", a term that is probably recognised in NZ common law, too.

It may be something could be milled to make it work but that would probably void any warranty or liability in the case of a blow up.

Such problems may not be a Turkish monopoly, of course. The ejection port on my 15-yr-old Tikka T3 270 WSM is only just wide enough for the fat cases and often leaves them hanging if the bolt is not worked vigorously. My gunsmith mate has offered to open it to the width of more-recent production but I'm reluctant to take up his offer.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Akkar (Turkey). ....

STOP!! That's you problem right here. I run into this quite often with Turk guns. Many good lucks getting any meaningful support from the current US agent for these.
You could probably re position the ejector with relative ease.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Is the ejector button wide enough that about half it could be removed to allow the empty to clear the barrel?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Is the ejector button wide enough that about half it could be removed to allow the empty to clear the barrel?

I had considered that option but milling away half of the button may only just give the required clearance and then the button would be weakened considerably and likely to shear.

I do have an acquaintance who works in the store where I purchased my gun, I might see if he will try an empty 3" shell in the action of the later models of the Akkar gun, being marketed as Churchill guns. The factory may have made a modification then there may be a claim possible for a replacement barrel.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Removing half probably won't clear. and don't call me Surely

Posts: 6399 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote