New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Rimmed .30/06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would it take in terms of tooling and setup to rechamber a drilling's .30/06 barrel to accept a rimmed case formed in a .30/06 die? I have trouble with the extractor on my Sauer drilling not catching the fired case. I took a 9.3X74R case, cut it off to 62mm, and ran it through a .30/06 sizing. The result is shown below compared to a rimless .30/06. A little fireforming may be necessary to iron out the shoulder, but the case will conform to a .30/06 chamber. The work needed is to cut the rim rebate in the chamber and the extractor so that the case will enter the chamber and the action will close on the case. Could this be done on a lathe or would it take a specially-ground chambering reamer that does not cut the chamber, but uses the chamber to guide a pilot shaft on which the rim cutter is mounted. Secondly, can anyone recommend a gunsmith to do the work?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
What would it take in terms of tooling and setup to rechamber a drilling's .30/06 barrel to accept a rimmed case formed in a .30/06 die? I have trouble with the extractor on my Sauer drilling not catching the fired case. I took a 9.3X74R case, cut it off to 62mm, and ran it through a .30/06 sizing. The result is shown below compared to a rimless .30/06. A little fireforming may be necessary to iron out the shoulder, but the case will conform to a .30/06 chamber. The work needed is to cut the rim rebate in the chamber and the extractor so that the case will enter the chamber and the action will close on the case. Could this be done on a lathe or would it take a specially-ground chambering reamer that does not cut the chamber, but uses the chamber to guide a pilot shaft on which the rim cutter is mounted. Secondly, can anyone recommend a gunsmith to do the work?

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your problem is probably the RP brass. I had the same problem with a 35 Whelen with factory RP ammo. The rim diameter on it and all RP cases based of the 7x57 head design tend to run small.
Suggest before you go through all this you try some Sellier & Bellot ammo as they have the largest rim diameter of any 30-06. Using them to make 35 Whelens fixed my extraction/ejection issues 100%. (It's also a lot better ammo and cases than anything from RP !)

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used several brands of brass. The problem is that it is a rimless case. I think I'll talk to a reamer maker about a special reamer for this application.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
a 30r blaser will clean up a 30-06 chamber... then you have dies, brass, reamer available...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger no 1 in 30R Blaser and I know that this cartridge was developed for the purpose of rechambering 30/06 drillings. I don't want to change the chamber as I want the option of using the rimless case in a pinch. The drilling has a spring-loaded extractor pin that is supposed to aid in extraction but it does not work well. I suppose I should have posted this on a gunsmithing forum.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'll talk to a reamer maker about a special reamer for this application.

I would call Dave Manson(Manson reamers). IME he is extremely helpful when dealing with odd/custom/fix-it situations.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I sent Dave an email today.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I think that I would get the extractor repaired or replaced first.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
There are 7 and 8 x65r cases readily available. As well as i think 444 cases. Choose one and make a conversion reamer. And have a belt cut into your dies

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7 and 8 x65r cases readily available

Same head size, but point taken, I wouldn't have to trim as much off the case with a 7X65R. I used to have a Sauer 3000 in 12 and 7X65R. Sold it and used an 8X57JR for a few years until a Sauer 300 12/.30/06 came along. Now I miss the rim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 30/40 Krag would be close.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I think that I would get the extractor repaired or replaced first.

What fun is there in that solution?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
If I recollect correctly, isn't the 405 Winchester basically a straight 30-06 case with a rim? If so...405 brass is readily available and a possible solution...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 405 Winchester shares the rim size of the .30-40 Krag, so possibly that would be a good parent cartridge too. I have corresponded with Dave Manson and he can make a reamer to do the trick. Now I'll have to do my research to see which is the best parent case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This goes to show that my idea isn't new. Here is a Winchester Highwall in .30/06 Rimmed: http://merzantique.com/item/on...gh-wall-target-rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not a 30r Blaser.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to alter the chamber because I want to be able to shoot .30/06 in a pinch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Ruger no 1 in 30R Blaser and I know that this cartridge was developed for the purpose of rechambering 30/06 drillings. I don't want to change the chamber as I want the option of using the rimless case in a pinch. The drilling has a spring-loaded extractor pin that is supposed to aid in extraction but it does not work well. I suppose I should have posted this on a gunsmithing forum.

IMHO what you are proposing makes a lot of sense if it can be done. I always wanted a rimmed 243 in my K95 forming from trimmed/formed 6.5x57R cases and to have a spare rimless extractor in my pocket in case I had to use factory 243. In the end I never managed it (K95 barrel now £1400! Eeker)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 405 Winchester shares the rim size of the .30-40 Krag, so possibly that would be a good parent cartridge too. I have corresponded with Dave Manson and he can make a reamer to do the trick. Now I'll have to do my research to see which is the best parent case.

I would have thought 7x65R