New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 front site
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to remove, without damaging, the complete front site from my CZ 550 7x57 for threading the bbl.
I have removed the two screws and the blade. The base would appear to be glued or soldered.I haven't put any heat to it yet,will I need to and if so how much.
Thank's for your help. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

If memory serves, the band style is lead solder. The ramp style was silver soldered. If its the ramp style you can run a pin down the edge of the barrel and ramp. If what you see is silver grey in color it's lead. If it's yellow tinged it's silver.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rod, for all the help you and the other guys give us. it's the ramp style, I'll check it out in the morning. tu2 jc

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
band is silver soldered ...and was put on hot .. it's not super easy to get off

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
band is silver soldered ...and was put on hot .. it's not super easy to get off

Thanks Jeffe,its the ramp style,I will tackle it tomorrow.jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never come across a CZ front ramp that was soldered on. It is usually just the two screws, but sometimes there is a thin coat of glue. Give it a little heat and it should come right off. I've removed lots.

The banded style is soft-soldered on. It doesn't take much heat to get them off. Heat it until the solder bubbles out and tap it off. I've removed hundreds. I have boxes full if anyone wants one.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
I've never come across a CZ front ramp that was soldered on. It is usually just the two screws, but sometimes there is a thin coat of glue. Give it a little heat and it should come right off. I've removed lots.

The banded style is soft-soldered on. It doesn't take much heat to get them off. Heat it until the solder bubbles out and tap it off. I've removed hundreds. I have boxes full if anyone wants one.

Thank you for sharing your experience,much appreciated. Did you remove all these front sights to fit brakes and mods.jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remove the banded front sight on the 550 Magnums in order to cut the barrel to a more acceptable length for a DGR as they come 25” from the factory. The sight goes into a box under the bench, then I install a new banded front sight that we make that accepts the NECG beads. Much better sight picture with these as the CZ bead is hard to see. NECG makes replacement beads to fit the CZ base but not in the selection of colors and sizes as they do with their standard line.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha,there is more to it than meets the eye. Never thought about DGR. thanks for that.
I got the sight off with no problems and the rifle threaded this morning.
Very impressed with the CZ550. Thank you all once again for your help. jc