New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring Barrel Length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this sounds stupid, but can anyone tell me what they've found to be the best way to easily measure barrel length? I assume the distance would be from the bolt face to the muzzle, but don't really know for sure....guess it's supposed to be obvious....

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To satisfy BATF, it is measured to the bolt face. Technically, it is measured from the muzzle to the base of the seated bullet. Use a good coated rod and watch that crown.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
breach face to muzzle... drop a rod (metal, wood, whatever) down the barrel with the bolt closed, mark it at the muzzle, that's you atf length (to cloud the issue - if you WELD on an extenstion, the atf considers that for barrel length including permenante flash hiders...)

I have seen barrels measured to the action, to the end of the barrel when out of the action, and to breachface.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Guess it was even more complex than I thought...

killpc

I've been trying to figure out just how short the barrel on my 375 H&H really is...and the ATF answer is 19 inches plus 2 that don't count in the brake. Kind of explains why it's hard to get much velocity....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
19" is pretty short for a .375 H&H. Of course the guides I've built stuff for over the years have always prefered short barrels because they swing fast.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is at that. 8.2 pounds, Sako AV, including scope. Carries great, comes up to the shoulder perfectly...just hard to get decent velocities with. It's amazing how much the ammo varies in velocity with this gun. It is really giving me a work out working up acceptable loads.

Dan

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Just as an idea, could you perhaps try a slightly faster powder?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying multiple powders....seems odd, but for some reason 300g bullets and IMR4350 seem closest to book values. I get 2500 fps with 79g of IMR4350. Just wish I had space in the case to do that with 300g TSX bullets!

Light bullets seem well off the mark...

Still searching,

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, it is from the closed bolt position.

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the blast and recoil is a real

bitch, right??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote