Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Length Stainless CRF Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Who besides Winchester and Montana Rifle make or have made stainless steel CRF actions for the .375 H&H length cartridges?

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3835 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CRF? Empire rifle makes a mauser that big, and karl webber's group does (he posts here), legacy used to bring in one, but no one bought it.

that's about it

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW the model 70s in RUM and STW were H&H length and somtimes a better price than the crazy $ that is being asked for the 375 now. So if you are looking for an action to build a custom on you might try looking for one of these instead.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I think I heard about Stuart Satterlee doing a stainless action.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All M70 Classics chambered in standard length (.30-06) cartridges are .375 H&H length actions. There is a magazine block that can be removed.

The standard cartridge (.473" bolt face) M70 Classic would require the bolt face opened to .532" for a .375 H&H. Of course the magnum M70 Classic, 7mm Rem, .300 Win, .338 Win already has the correct bolt face for the .375 H&H.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
All M70 Classics chambered in standard length (.30-06) cartridges are .375 H&H length actions. There is a magazine block that can be removed.

The standard cartridge (.473" bolt face) M70 Classic would require the bolt face opened to .532" for a .375 H&H. Of course the magnum M70 Classic, 7mm Rem, .300 Win, .338 Win already has the correct bolt face for the .375 H&H.
How about the ejectors? Can it be shortened or does it need a new one?

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Hardballer,

I don't know which is the best way to go on the ejector whether to utilize the existing ejector or start with a new one.

The claw extractor on the standard (.473" .30-06) will have to be adjusted or replaced. The claw extractor on the magnum, 7mm Rem Mag etc, should work as is because bolt face is .532".

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buliwyf, you are correct on the fuctional length of the action but the ejection port on the calibers I mentioned is slightly larger than the standard length action (the rear bridge is opened to the rear). While it can and does work with the H&H length cartriges it is not quite as good. I have messed with mine and can take the mag box from my 375 and put it in my 30-06 and vise versa, but if you mesure the port they are different. Smiler

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Idahoelk101 and Buliwyf, thanks.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Hardballer. Thanks for the clarification idahoelk101 Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2007 Remington 798 Mauser 375H&H is available stainless steel.

GVA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put a 375H&H into a mkII Ruger nearly as easily as converting an M70 that needs to be opened up to the rear. Squeezing a 375H&H into the M70 w/out opening the port may be a recipe for ejection issues.

GVA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hardballer,
Stan Jackson in Anchorage charges $100 to convert a W70 "standard" length action to 375 length. This includes drilling and tapping a new rear scope mounting base hole and milling away some of the action to aid ejection, removing the mag block and changing the other parts as required.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote