New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dayton Traister Model UM '98 Mauser Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for something else, I found a couple Dayton Traister Model UM '98 Mauser triggers. I installed one on a Banner Mauser. I did all the checks and the trigger passed them all, but then I pushed the trigger forward and the striker fell. I have a Rigby that has a pin installed in the trigger guard in front of the trigger. Is this the only way to fix this problem?

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
no -- turn in the sear engagement screw

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that will do it. See pictures below. The first picture shows the trigger at rest. The next picture shows the trigger being pushed from behind which releases the striker. I don't thing there is an adjustment for that. Try clicking on the pictures to enlarge.

Jim

Posts: 548 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is how they are supposed to work. They pivot down if the sear and trigger are engaged. It isn't locked like on a Timney.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
isn't there a set screw in the front of the trigger housing at the bottom. That screw pushes up to keep the entire housing from pivoting. You entire housing is pivoting.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No it should not work that way. When I push the trigger from the back of the trigger it pivots down and releases the bolt. I am not pulling on the trigger.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just put one of these on an P14, and the front "support" is the original trigger spring. NFG. I tossed it before the trigger arrived. I have it working at the moment with a pair of springs that happen to fit.

In my opinion, a screw in place of the original trigger spring would be a better solution than depending on the original trigger spring. Maybe a screw and a spring. I really don't like the one pin design.

Alternatively, don't push the f'n thing forward.

Posts: 50 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Alternatively, don't push the f'n thing forward."

That is one solution.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried one Dayton Traister trigger and considered it junk. For a more inexpensive trigger for a Mauser I have used a Bold trigger and consider it very good, especially for the money spent. If anyone here thinks the DT triggers are good that's okay, I was just giving my opinion.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
"Alternatively, don't push the f'n thing forward."

That is one solution.

Interesting problem with the trigger.

I am trying to remember when the last time I have pushed forward on a bolt action rifles trigger.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That thing looks like some lawyers wet dream come true. Serious design flaw.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The trigger is designed the way it is to replace the stock 98 trigger with minimal alteration to the stock. The pivoting housing allows the trigger to reset and allows the cocking piece to bump over the trigger. The Timney uses a sear with slides back out of contact with the trigger to achieve the same thing. By the way, if the trigger guard doesn't interfere, I can fire mausers, springfields, and a winchester 54 by pushing forward on the trigger. As it happens, the trigger guards do interfere and, in addition, I never push forward on the triggers so it doesn't really matter.
Anyway, this is not a "serious design flaw". It is how the trigger works. This is one man's answer to how to deal with the Mauser cocking piece. It works but is definitely different. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably replace the trigger with a Bold trigger.

Jim

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The factory Mauser trigger will fire if you push it forward when the bottom metal isn't attached. When properly installed with the original parts, the front of the trigger slot in the bottom metal prevents the trigger from being pushed forward.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure Bold triggers are no longer made. There is nothing wrong with the Dayton design. As ZR1 said, the bottom metal prevents it from being pushed forward.

Alternately, you can drill and tap the front for a set screw and fill the hole in the receiver with a plug to lock it down like a Timney or Bold. However, you will have to use a commercial flat bottom cocking piece. It pivots so it will reset with the military cocking piece.

I've put several of these in rifles that have a 2 pos safety installed and think they are a good trigger. Simple, all steel, and give a good pull.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Dayton Traister triggers on my P14 Enfield sporters for about 60 years now and have never had a problem with one. Admittedly, I have never tried pushing the trigger, any kind of trigger, of a cocked and loaded rifle forward.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If that happens, its just wrong and damn dangerous, its off safety...the problem is normally caused by cutting too much metal off the cocking piece on a mod 54, they do not come that way..grimlins are at work..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Greg Roberts used to be a gunsmithing instructor at Trinidad. Married another gunsmith's daughter Claudette Greene and they moved back to Whidbey Island to run the old man's shop.

I was stationed there for a long time and used to shoot at the rifle range he had behind the old mans back yard.

When the old man was running things it was great. I never cared for Greg, this was 20 years ago but every piece of work they ever did was shoddy. A friend of mine dropped off a 1917 sporterized rifle to be drilled and tapped for a scope. Not only was the mount not centered on the rifle, but it came off after the 3rd shot.

In the late 1990's and early 2000's there were a lot of gunshops within 50 miles of Oak Harbor, WA. Greene's shop was great, but his son in law and the slope skull they had working there (I don't remember his name) made me hate going there.

Old man died while I was on deployment about 1999-2001 time frame, and that is when it became Greg's show.

The hawkens made by them were nice looking rifles, but they never wanted to work on one. I wanted to order one for my father, but I never saw a finished product.

They also had their version of the little Savage Crackshot rifle. I saw 1 finished one, and it was beautiful but everything else about them never happened. They had a box with about 100 receivers on it that had been case hardened by Turnbull and they all had blue painters tape on them with names. But they were never finished.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty sure Bold triggers are no longer made. There is nothing wrong with the Dayton design. As ZR1 said, the bottom metal prevents it from being pushed forward.

Bold triggers are not being made I found out so I ordered a Timney 98 trigger and it was shipped yesterday.

There is a 1/4" clearance in front of the trigger with the bottom metal installed when using a DT trigger.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I THINK Timney discontinued the Sportsman trigger (worked perfect with original cocking piece)

Trying to find a proper cocking piece is not easy, but an original CAN be modified

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The DT trigger can always be pushed forward. If it could not, it wouldn't work with the original cocking piece. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote