Notify
Tools

Bubba rides again....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
this time a 1934 post office Mauser, makes me want to cry:1934oberndorf

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Appraised @ $1200, starting bid $875, what a deal! The stock is indeed stunning.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WOW .. the novel approach to placing the scope mount...
CRYBABY

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Wow! Appraised @ $1200, starting bid $875, what a deal! The stock is indeed stunning.

jumping

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
At least he has a 1903 for that hasn't been butchered yet!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I just love quality stock work. You just cannot find stock men that do good inlays any more. The world is a worst place without them . . .

Mike

Posts: 21395 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doug,
the 1093 is a parts gun .. its about $400 MAX retail, as it's a collection of stuff .. but the stock hasn't been worked over like the mauser

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The thing that pains me the most about the Mauser is the way the action is butchered (holes, over-polishing, etc.). Pre-war military Oberndorfs are just the ticket for a British-style sporter, not that easy to find anymore.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found one, stock shortened and pristine action here in Vancouver about 4 years ago, for $150.00 CDN. I had the action stripped from it as the barrel was pitted and put it into my box of actions in one of my safes.

A buddy, born in Germany wanted it BADLY, so, I traded it to him for whatever, as a friend. He then sent it to a "gunsmith" in northern BC, who is actually a logging truck driver and against my advice.

A year + later, he got it back, a .338-06, Gaillard sts. bbl, clubby Boyd's gray lam. stock, wouldn't feed properly and the "weld job" on the Tally bolt handle looked more like
Plastic Steel" than anything else.

What can you do, this is one of my best friends and very kind to me.....BUT, he learned "the hard way" and now has all his work done by Ralf Martini, as I had originally suggested.

The "bubba" in question, whom we visited on one of our trips around B.C., is a pleasant guy, but, fully expected my buddy to pay serious coin for this travesty....which he refused to do.

Some guys are just peasants and should ONLY be allowed to work on "Mousy-Nagants"!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
An all too familiar story. Know your gunsmith and his strengths and weaknesses before handing over a project.

Mike, maybe this smith could embelish your new 500 takedown with some maple inlays?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Mike, maybe this smith could embelish your new 500 takedown with some maple inlays?

You read my mind. I am thinking about a 4-leaf clover on each side of the butt stock for good luck. Then maybe have Scrollcutter do a leprechaun on the floorplate. I think that would be very distinctive. Not final yet, but that is how I am leaning at the moment. I also think it will help on resale to Irishmen and Notre Dame grads.

Mike

Posts: 21395 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are being a little rough on "bubba" in this case. Look at the age on the arm, its definatly a 50-60's build and very typical for a sporterized package of that time frame. Besides you need to put the blame for those inlays firmly at the feet of Roy Weatherby.

Now the asking price is another story, the seller is stoned out of his gourd. Its a $175-$200 shooter. Definalty not worth more than that.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good points Rusty, but there were good gunsmiths in the 50s & 60s too. And I may be in the distinct minority, but I also like a well done California-style rifle. Not something I would build today, most of my rifles are conservative classics, but a Leonard Mews stocked Weatherby replete with inlays and skip-line checkering is a work of art too, like a 59 Eldorado in the driveway of a neo-moderne ranch-style house.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean Forrest, but I'm finding it hard to locate that level of craftsmanship today. So far, no one has felt up to the task of engraving a bullino Cowardly Lion in the oval panel of my Wizard of OZ single shot.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who can do it! Rick Simmons, lives in Kingwood. I invited him to the Hoot & Shoot, hopefully he will come.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Wish I had some spare cash right now Wink

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Sweet! That would be a good addition to ANY collection!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I just love quality stock work. You just cannot find stock men that do good inlays any more. The world is a worst place without them . . .

I thought those were cross bolts to keep the cheekpiece from coming loose.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can imagine that stock in my fire place or maybe smoking some BBQ.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own DRP Banner gun will be hitting gunbroker very soon.
You can "inspect" it here:

http://s10.photobucket.com/alb...omo4me/DRP%20MAUSER/

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The rear screw hole on the receiver ring perfectly bisects the 1934.

shocker

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The scope on this masterpiece is older than I am.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
did anyone notice the crop circles around the "diamonds" ?
space

"excellent example" .. of?
"current fair market value" .. what market? and since he quotes that, i guess he means if it wasn't and excellent example

"shortened" .. finger grooves ... cheap scope .. without the holes, its a 500 action ... with the holes, having to "sell the stock" (for firewood) and pull the barrel?

what, 350 tops?

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The starting bid should be $5.95, not $595.00! I can understand athe "0" bids.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote