THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need help with some Mauser stuff a guy wants to trade me.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with some Mauser stuff a guy wants to trade me.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an offer to trade out these 2 guns towards a birddog. After speaking with the guy and asking a lot of questions here is all the information I have gathered and that he knows.
Both are .270WSM
Both are built on VZ24 actions by a gunsmith that used to live in central florida
Unknown make on barrel’s. After removing stocks he was unable to find any stamp or marking indicating brand.
Camo one that looks like it was used to snipe gypsies in a break-away Russian republic has a muzzle brake and bipod on painted synthetic stock that has no markings indicating what brand it is.
The one has custom wood that has good fit and finish, but is heavy. He estimated that it weighed between 11-12lbs
He has only shot each rifle 2-3 times to ensure function and does not know how well they group.
The glass is $20 junk
I asked if he could see any marking on the trigger asy of the blued gun to establish who it was made by.. remains unknown.

If I were to do this trade my goal would be to be able to sell the 2 guns for the amount of $$ I have given him in trade. With the above being the only available information what value would you assign to the 2 guns. Thank you very much for your help.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hope the dog is old and feeble

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$600-700 for the pair.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm no expert about it but i know some ....i hate to say it, but.....

yuk!!!......a bad dog won't be as costly and aggrivating as those actions.
even though they are VZ'S (if no question about that)and supposedly sporterized(??), they both need lots of work to be decent stuff....about the same value as military condition as far as i can see...=/- $125.
glass as you said, bbls, with no brand proof $30-40, wood and plastic... worthless.
may i'm a little harsh, but i just hate seeing thoas tactical bolt handles and other silly stuff on a good mauser action.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him to sell is own guns and pay you with cash!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:

+1

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His estimate on value was $800 for the camo and $1500-$2000 for the wood one!! I as well was thinking that to sell them I would be lucky to come up with $1000 for the pair, but after hearing remarks from people in the know on mausers it seems that I was being generous at that!!

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can honestly say that I would be happy getting $500 for the pair. It will take a lot of money to get these guns to the point they will hold some value.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell him to sell is own guns and pay you with cash

+1 x 1000!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Due to complete lack of info on these rifles, I wouldn't pay more then $150 per. About the price of a VZ24 without any "custom" work.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:

+1 Again

$800 for one and $1500 to $2000 for the other. Umm how do I say this politely

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FRIGGIN MIND????
If he thinks they are worth that much then he needs to sell them him self
He probably has that much invested into each rifle but they are no where near that kind of value.
I was going to say with out the paint maybe $500 each but that seems to much
I'd say $750 for the pair Considering the "sniper rifle" is not in a "sniper" caliber It would be hard to sell a chunk like that.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Tell him to sell is own guns and pay you with cash

+1 x 1000

thumb I have to agree with the idea of $500-750 for the pair leaning more to the $500. As to his estimate of $1500-2000 for the wood one. I'm afraid he must be smoking some of those funny home made Cigarettes.

First thing just about anyone would do is take the wood off and burn it replacing it just about ANYTHING would be an improvement.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

First thing just about anyone would do is take the wood off and burn it replacing it just about ANYTHING would be an improvement.

Boy you said it that stock may have cost $100
Just an ugly shape and zero figure

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how drunk on "Tequila" beer yuck you would have to be for those to look great animal lolwould have to eat the worm clap shocker

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
200 each, 500 total IF i was feeling really nice .. but i would have to deduct 200 for reworking the stocks and taking off the paint(s) .. fugly ... and fugly's ugly sister...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AB Joint Outfitters:
His estimate on value was $800 for the camo and $1500-$2000 for the wood one!! I as well was thinking that to sell them I would be lucky to come up with $1000 for the pair, but after hearing remarks from people in the know on mausers it seems that I was being generous at that!!

I don't believe that you could do better than about $250 for either one. Those are two of the most "wrong" rifles I have ever seen.

I'm not trying to be glib, but would you trust your dog to anyone who would own those two rifles? Much less someone so out of touch with reality that he peggs their value at $2300-$2800 for the pair!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
The owner's name wouldn't happen to be Russell, would it?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
FUGLY x 2

The only bird dog I would trade for these POSs would be a DEAD dog!

Keep your dog.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pair would likely cause you grief even if you got them for nothing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
That pair would likely cause you grief even if you got them for nothing.

This was the first thought I had as well.

I'm not saying this would be the case, but if the rails were worked on in order to get the WSM cartridges to feed properly (which still needs to be checked too apparently, as "2 or 3 times" might not be the full magazine) the actions might not be good for much else other than single shots.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I think you are going to have to pay someone to take them away in a dumpster to the tip site.
Jez how can anyone create something so bloody ugly, let alone x 2. They should be burned at the stake along with those "things".

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cash only for the dog!!

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That trade offer is an insult to the dog!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell,I have an Irish Setter I would give him for both of those rifles! A "friend" of mine ruined it and now he is very good about going to the downed bird and sniffing it and coming straight back to you. I still have the dog....the "friend" is gone.

I'd even trade him just for the ugly one. You decide which that is. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
About the only thing I see of any value whatsoever on the pair is what appears to be a Timney trigger.
I've never owned a dog that I would trade for that junk and that includes a Brittany that would hump a stump!

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cheekpiece on the wood stock looks like it would rip your lips off when you fire it. Ask him to sell the rifles and pay you with cash.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So we are all in agreement here that this is a good trade for a 18mo English setter male who is bred very well and that naturally pointed, backed on sight, and retrieved to hand naturally and quartered in the field in front of you between 30 and 70 yards. Who is now whoa broke and has been worked by a pro for 4 months on birds…

Rip your lips off!!! Now that's funny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHIT - and here i thought you were talking about just any old mutt, not an english setter. AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! may the fleas of a thousand camels invade your pubic regions for even thinking of trading off an english setter for anything less than a pair of H&H royals

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
"Arsenal Refinished" VZ-24's are selling for $210 plus shipping if you have an FFL or a C&R license. Cash for the dog.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
250's not bad and at least they have a bolt handle and wood that you can look at!

if you showed those gun to your dog , he'd probably start growling at you.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote