New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finishing Cheekpieces?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, I have an issue that I need suggestions for. I have a gorgeous walnut stock that I can not seem to get the bottom edge of the cheekpiece to sand properly. It always looks either like I have open pores or like I sanded across the grain (which I didn't). Does anyone have any tips for sanding/filling the edge of cheekpieces? I have tried my normal sanding block as well as an eraser. Last night I took my belt sander and made a sanding block with a sharp edge to it. Do you think that will help?

Thanks!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a big fan of cheek pieces because they never seem to touch my cheek when I shoulder the rifle. I guess that comes from my Marine Corps habit of using the base of my shooting hand thumb as a cheek rest...but that aside...

I’ve used contoured hard felt pads, carved rubber erasers, and even cigarette filters, as backing for sand paper to finish those hard to get areas on stocks. It just takes a bit of time and effort and a great deal of attention to not making flat spots that don’t flow smoothly with the shape.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that the use of a sharp scraper of the right shape/contour will give a finish almost as smooth as glass. It doesn't take much pressure, just enough to remove a "fuzz" with each pass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
larrys,
Are you talking about a shadow line or a cheepiece that blends into the surface of the stock? Also if you are just talking about sanding the wood, you may end up with open pores, they are filled by the finish. If you are talking about wet sanding in a finish you need to either use a block with a good square edge or a round piece of wood depending on the shape you are working on. It also will take a number of passes with the finish to fill the pores.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Chic, I am talking about the wet sanding of the shadow line. It just seems that the most open pores are right at the junction of the stock and shadow line that take much longer to fill than the rest of the stock. I will practice some patience and try a smaller block. The one I use for the rest of the stock is too chunky.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I go to the beauty supply shop and pick up a bag of emery boards. The are flexible and helped me get into those tight spots.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
larrys,
I use a small block of hardwood that is about 2" long by 3/8" thick by 7/8" wide. The edges have to be square. I use it as a backing for the sandpaper and fold a crease to fit agiant the block. Then wet sand and wipe the surface with paper towel. Don't rub hard, just wipe it clean. I start with 320 grit then progress to 600 with at least two passes with each grit. Then I go to 800 and often 1200 and 1500. I use this small block all over the blank unless it is concave. I use rubber shaped blocks for those areas.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
I guess that comes from my Marine Corps habit of using the base of my shooting hand thumb as a cheek rest...but that aside...

Rick,
do NOT use this technique with a bigbore.. you WILL "wipe your nose" with whatever recoil the rifle will have... I've seen nose bleeds from this!!!

On cheekpieces... man, this is nearly as hard to get right as the bottom of the grip./.. what I do is to get this right FIRST then the shadow line, then the rest of the on-side of the stock... I don't think the order actually matters, but I am usually "fresher" when i start that way

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, thanks to all. Since I am only at wet sanding with 400 grit, I guess I will be more patient. Hmmm, there is that word again.

Larry