New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real bluing for Stainless steel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a rifle from a friend that is beautiful. The only mistake is the milled barrel was done on a stainless steel Kreiger barrel blank not chrome moly. The rifle is wonderful but I can't live with that s.s. barrel. Is there anything new available to make it blue????? I have tried teflon and the finish by craft guard both suck. This is a fine custom rifle and should reflect that quality in the barrel finish.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
lb404 '

I know gunsmiths who are blueing stainless barrels from Border, Krieger and L&W. Second option is to black crome this barrel.

Result looks fine thumb

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some salts that make it more of a matte black.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any one have any experience with a black chrome finish? how does it hold up. I see that it comes in a matte finish, so how does it look? Is there any thing out there that looks as rich as a beautiful polished blued gun on good wood? Wayne

Posts: 253 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I am looking for is a matte black finish similar to the flat black finish on a pre-64 model 70 receiver. Can anyone furnish a vendor or gunsmith doing this work. I had originally thought that a powder coat would work fine, however, I have not been able to locate anyone willing to do the barrel.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
walex,
I had two barrels black chromed. Mine held up very well. The shop I hired said it's all about preparation and polish before adding the chrome. work. My barrels was plated with a thin layer of copper before being chromed. I think Roguard offers black chrome?

lb404
I got a few pictures of a gun with stainless barrel that been blued, send me PM or email.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walex:
Any one have any experience with a black chrome finish? how does it hold up. I see that it comes in a matte finish, so how does it look? Is there any thing out there that looks as rich as a beautiful polished blued gun on good wood? Wayne

DeHaan shotguns (Huglu) have "black chrome" barrels. Mine is of the polished (gloss) variety and it is quite handsome.

I've only had it for a few monthes. It has had several hundred rounds (trap and skeet) through it and semms to be holding up well.

DeHaan reccomends the matte finish for maximum durability.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
teflon paint... Jack at Cherokee Rifles, Croby Texas, does a good job with this.
black chrome
"black oxide" for stainless (http://www.epi.com)
copper plated and then blacked (not hot tank) the way winchester did them
BBQ paint... not kidding

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso-
I might be wrong, but I thought Winchester plated the stainess barrels of pre-64's with iron then hot blued them.

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yellowdog,
i believe it's copper, as I don't believe that an iron/steel to stainless would do anything but have an internal electrosis process going on, resulting in the iron lifting from the stainless in a couple years

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are hot bluing types of solutions out there, but they really don't work. They are not nearly as durable as a normal type of blued finish you would find on a regular barrel.

I have seen a couple guns come in that had one of those bake-on coatings on them and they don't look half bad.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those who have already spoken are right, Black chrome is the hardest/most durable finish you can get for SS. If you want to go for a painted on finish, there are several out there that will give you good results (the ones that bake on are by far the best).

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robar offers their Rogaurd finish which is pretty durable and somewhat approximates a few of the rust blue finishes I've seen. Its pretty tough too as I have a 1911 done with it and wear on the slide rails in minimal after more than 7000+ rounds. They also do blackening of stainless.

Finishes

Jeffe,
I think that you are thinking of Remington for the copper process. I believe that they did a copper over stainless with iron over that. Winchester only used iron over stainless then switched to a blackening process in the late 50's and early 60's.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
K guys..
the iron vs copper plating has got my interest up. i'll call winchester today

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
LB, Dave Gentry in Belgrade, MT blues stainless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso
When I posted about Winchester plating stainless with iron then bluing, I was at work and couldn't check where I read that. After checking through several books(every day I get older,I forget where more and more stuff is),I found the book was "Gunsmithing" by Roy Dunlap.
I have a pre 64 m-70 .243 with a stainless barrel, and a small magnet will stick to the plated sides of the barrel but not the crown, which is not plated.

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, winchester was HELPLESS

even the old mean gunny said "i never heard of such a thing as plating a barrel and then bluing"

i am not 100% convinced either way...

some stainless is magnetic, but not barrel steel

weird

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I too remember reading that Winchester iron plated the stainless barrels so they could be blued. I believe the information came from an old Gun Digest.

What I seem to recall is that they copper plated the stainless and then iron plated the copper. I may be mistaken about that but I for sure remember the iron part.

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly the process. Their success was in the blueing salts which EPA will notallow now, therefore not done as well now.
quote:
Originally posted by hst:
Gentlemen:

I too remember reading that Winchester iron plated the stainless barrels so they could be blued. I believe the information came from an old Gun Digest.

What I seem to recall is that they copper plated the stainless and then iron plated the copper. I may be mistaken about that but I for sure remember the iron part.

Glenn

square shooter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1961 (I think) Rem. 700 in 7mm Rem., anyway it was one of the first years production when they introduced the cartridge.

The barrel is a nice blue, same as the receiver, and is stamped "Stainless Steel".

Must be a way to do it.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil Rob: I also have 7mm Mag 700 with a blued stainless barrel..., a '62 model I think. I inherited the gun about 10 years ago with a couple of small rust spots so knowing that stainless could not be blued, I called Remington to ask what was the deal. I was told that the barrel was copper coated (plated? whatever?) and then a blued finish was applied. Remington no longer did the process at that time so they recommended me to Spradlin's for their refinishing process.

Posts: 52 | Location: Mis'sippi | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some smiths still blue SS and its very acceptable or teflon it...Black chorme is the next best thing to s--t IMO...It looks like licorce and when it wears you have all this copper showing...Not for me...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys

What is Ruger's "target gray" stainless steel finish?

How durable is it?

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote