Find
Notify
Tools

Reboring Ruger Safari Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I have read the threads about when reboring is and is not cost effective. I am interested in having a Ruger Safari Magnum barrel (with the rib, banded front sight, barrel band, rear sight, etc.) rebored from .416 to .458 (rechamber from .416 Rigby to .450 Rigby). One, this seems like a situation where reboring (as opposed to rebarreling) would be appropriate given all the hardware already on the barrel, is that right? Two, who is out there to do this and do it well? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
the first ruger 470mbogo was a rebore, and it worked.. iirc, the second one didnt. You got Jim Dubell(who took over labounty's shop) and Danny Pedersen, www.cutrifles.com or cutrifle.com and I know bauska will do the same.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have had Danny Pedersen to rebore 2 rifles for me: a .400 Tembo wildcat to 404 Jeffery and a 30-06 to 9.3x62. Both are more accurate than I generally shoot. A rebore/rechamber will cost ~300 including S&H. I have a 243 that is gonna become a 375 H&H flanged mag on a Ruger 1...soon as I get that dang stock fitted! IMO, a falling block rifle deserves a rimmed cartridge...have you considered 450/400, 450 3.25 NE, 450 #2, 500/416 (this one duplicates the 416 Rigby performance.) Not my business what you chamber for....I just get to dreaming out loud sometimes. Good luck with your project!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote