New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here are pics of my Remington Enfield receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Toomany Tools just returned my 1917 Remington Enfield to me. The serial# is higher than I can find anyplace 6766xx. John did a beautiful job of cutting the ears off, surface grinding the receiver, D&T, opened the bolt face, installed an imcomplete 3 pos safety, speed lock kit, Timney trigger,firing pin work,and installed the beautiful Wiebe bottom metal. For the 416 Rigby he had to make a mag box, rework the feed rails, and installed the Wiebe custom follower. Below are some photos. I know some of you like the dogleg bolt handle, but I think it is Butt Ugly. Several of our Buddies on the forum were kind enough to send some great pictures of bolt handles and they are beautiful. I was lazy and didn't get around to ordering the reamer and go gage as I have the barrel in stock. I am going to learn to cut square threads. I will send more photos as I go. Does a 23" barrel length seem right?

Guys, I have been very lucky to have dealt with some very good and honest gunsmiths. I don't have enough money to try a bunch more of them, but David Christman, Jim Kobe, James Anderson, Duane Wiebe, Karl Feldkamp, and John Farner have just been excellent for me. If I forgot you I am sorry. I just gave my wild red headed cat a bath and he didn't like it worth a sh!t.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, gorgeous. It's nice to see one turn out so well, definitely get the bolt handle changed, I meant to take pics of mine more closeup for you but once I got ready this morning couldn't remember why I got up early so came to work 1/2 an hour early bewildered

Do I have recollection of this very high numbered receiver? I hope you don't get crucified by collectors for taking a very rare perfect action and ruining it Wink If it is the one I am thinking of then what I was told (IIRC) that these were post war production made for China, and were not delivered, but that this was the reason they were action only and not parkerized, they just hadn't been finished.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch-

Gorgeous work-in-progress!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago red,
After I got it from you I could swear that it was never assembled or used.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch-

Should I recognize that bolt? Wink

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you might. This may end up being a Johnny Cash rifle. You would be surprised what and from whom some of the parts came from. Too bad we couldn't have made the Mashburn trigger work.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
next step is to cut off that tang and weld a new one on.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful Butch. John does some amazing work and is a pleasure to deal with. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry,
My octagon barreled thing may be lost in the mail. It was mailed 8 days ago or more and ain't showed up. I'm worried! I understand your beautiful rifle made it to Mr. Anderson's hands.
Butch

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Say it ain't so Butch! You've got too much time and effort into it. I'm praying for you.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that is beautiful! On barrel length... I know we have all been told that big bores need short barrels( hung up in the jess etc etc) but really I have never found it to be a problem at all and as I age if you are using irons every inch you can get that front bead further away from your eye the sharper it becomes. Also getting that muzzle blast away from your face and ears really does help. I really don't think 25 or even 26 is to much... Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
23 inches is perfect

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 23 inch barrel on my .416. I like it.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Congratulations!

On barrel length, I have a 404 Jeffery with a 26 inch barrel. I like it a lot!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Personally...I don't think so...Too many tools did too nice a job to fool around with it any further

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great work.

I agree about the bolt handle, especially on a hard-kicking rifle.

Besides improving the looks of the finished rifle, straightening the bolt handle puts the bolt knob farther forward and keeps it from rapping your knuckles in recoil.

I have a fairly heavy-profiled 24" barrel on my .416 Rigby and I like it very much. Although one inch either way wouldn't make much difference in handling or performance.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike
I've done 550s and 500s on dogleg enfields .. if it hits you, you let got.. simple as that

its asthetics, which is choice .. and i am all about choice, but not improper rational to justify asthetics

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to justify anything except my own taste. My wife does say all of my taste is in my mouth. The barrel is a #5 contour and I will compromise at 23.5".
Butch

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Butch,
your tastes have been excellent!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Mike
I've done 550s and 500s on dogleg enfields .. if it hits you, you let got.. simple as that

its asthetics, which is choice .. and i am all about choice, but not improper rational to justify asthetics

Jeff,

No. 1: It ain't about if it hits me. I don't want it to hit me. That's kinda the whole point.

A straight bolt handle will not hit me. A dogleg like the Enfield, or even a swept back design, in a hard-kicker, has been known (and felt) to do just that.

No. 2: If and when it hits me, everything I'm counting on achieving, including accuracy and a fast follow up shot, will suffer. Not to mention that busting your knuckles on a bolt knob is a sure-fire way to develop a God-awful flinch.

And I sure as hell don't want to let go of the rifle!

If that's an improper rationale, then you can call me irrational!

But I won't argue and do agree that the dogleg is an ugly design anyway.

Butch, the barrel on mine is close to a No. 5 contour, but close to a straight taper, so a bit heavier.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Mike

I love the action but the dogleg hits me hard, pre-64 M70 African same way. I compromise with knobs placed ~.75-1 knob width to the rear instead of 1.5 knob widths like the originals.

Beauty or ugliness is indeed in the eye of the beholder but that durn knob HURTS regardless of the looks!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
Wow that is beautiful! On barrel length... I know we have all been told that big bores need short barrels( hung up in the jess etc etc) but really I have never found it to be a problem at all and as I age if you are using irons every inch you can get that front bead further away from your eye the sharper it becomes. Also getting that muzzle blast away from your face and ears really does help. I really don't think 25 or even 26 is to much... Just my 2 cents.

To me, it's 25" no more, no less, contour so it balances and feels alive

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Butch, you got me head scratching over the bolt stop. How exactly does the thing stay in place with the spring truncated? Take it that is one of Ed’s safeties?
It does not matter about the barrel length, just do what looks right then be happy with it.
My new Enfield (P-14) will be with one of Duane’s bottom metal units and be in .375 Weatherby. Here is my bolt handle being machined strait down. Personally that is what looks best and feels best to me. I mounted my fixture on a rotab and made sure to leave plenty of “boss” on top.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Butch, damn near missed this one...LOOKS GREAT...and as far as square threads go...it's not that hard. I put a 7 stw on a p17 years ago..but I did do a practice stub first after I ground my threading tool. Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your neighbor should have it tomorrow to fit the bolt handle.

Big Earl, yours is looking good. I really don't know the origin of the safety.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your neighbor should have it tomorrow to fit the bolt handle.

I didnt know Nick put that handle on, he does nice work!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

Personally...I don't think so...Too many tools did too nice a job to fool around with it any further

I was kind of thinking that Toomany Tools did such a beautiful job that it would be a shame not to take it all the way to where it needs to go to be a best gun.

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda with Kevin on this one. At least plug up the top of the action screw hole then re-contore. I'm considering an 1/8" overlay on mine.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are doing a good job telling me what I should like. You are also good at spending my money. I did ask for suggestions and I do appreciate your input.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I got to watch part of that work taking place...If only you guys could appreciate the time John puts into his work, awesome.

Chuck

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
tu2

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote