New
Find
Notify
Tools

a-square stock help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
boys an' girls...please no laughing! I know many of you don't like the style but....

I have wanted an a2 style stock since the first time I saw one in a Gun World (I think) centerfold, in the mid to late 80s (I think). It was a 338 a2 (I think). I do have the rag, along with about 5 or 600 other gun books in boxes, in the basement. I call them wish books! And the older the book the better...to a point.
What I am wondering, is can someone give me the dimensions, or better yet, a 3d image w/dimensions? I would like to mock up a rough one to see if I like how it fits.
If all goes well, I STILL have a P14 and siamese mauser that are calling to be butchered customized.

Thanks for your time (and your humor),

LeRoy....aka, archdlx

sorry for turning a simple q? into a short story!

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
mpi makes a2 synthetic stocks for them and you could buy one for a pattern or call them for demensions. you may be nuts but that stock works great

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A crew was replacing the railroad tracks that are about 3/4 mile from my house back at the beginning of the Summer. I stopped one day to ask them how long the segmantes for track were, as I could see they were longer than anything I ever dealt with in construction. The pieces of rail used on this section were 1200-1500' long, but they are made up to 1800'. That totally &^%*%$#)ing blew my mind!

Anyway, we were just standing there on the old ties while talking. Many of the old railroad cross ties were being replaced. If you bolted a P14 action to one, it would look, handle, and feel EXACTLY like the old A-Square stock! Who knows, you might could even get one for free if they are working on a track near your house.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you suggest re-creosoting them? I understand not doing so weakens them.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I won't laugh at you. I don't care for the looks of the A2 stock, but having shot an A-Square rifle in .416 Weatherby with factory ammo and without a muzzle brake or mercury reducers, I can say that the design does work. While not exactly pleasant, the gun was very shootable, and was not bad to carry for a day.

A-Square stock periodically show up used on e-bay and on some of the gun auction boards.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fresh coat of creosote might be better. It could keep the skeeters and black flies away when hunting!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FIRE...

no, really, FIRE will give you help with an asquare coilchunk stock... or is that the stock is good for a fire?

either way, dont' cook over it, as I am certainly the shell on it is dangerous to breath

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee fellas, thanks...you didn't disappoint me!

Crusher, I was hoping not to having to buy one until I am sure it works for me.

Marc, I can throw a stone to the tracks, and a pile of ties. Thanks for the idea.

loud-n-boomer, thanks for not laughing. I'll watch all the auctions, except e-bay.

You guys are the greatest!! Roll Eyes

LeRoy

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My Albertan friend, what your AR friends are telling you, in their inimitably indirect and directly comical way, is that the A2 stock is the ugliest, least graceful thing that has bedded the metalwork of a rifle since the firste saplinge was chopped downe to serve as the reste for the firste hande stocke for the firste fuze fired hande cannone of the mid-14th centurie.

En autre mots, better desingnes may be hade, me foine feathered Quebecoisian ami!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma, I kind of figured what kind of answers would come from this post...long before I posted. Have wanted to try one forever, had to ask!

LeRoy

ps....J'espère que votre commentaire a été fait pour rire, parce que la plupart d'Albertans, particulièrement rednecks m'aiment, ne sont pas fanatique de s'appeler un « Quebecoisian »… Wink

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I can send you an unfinished blank rough out of one if you need I am having some made.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
C'est vrai, totalement vrai, mon ami!

Mais serieusement, le A2 est utile, mais certainement laid, n'est-ce pas, mon ami Albertans avec le cou rouge? Wink Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Crusher...you have aa pm

MR....beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I knew this site would come through, one way or another! And it did...in spades...humor...foreign languages...and a stock for me!!!! dancing

Thanks guys, LeRoy

one of us
posted Hide Post
archdlx - send me your email via PM and I will send you some photos / dimensions.

Have one somewhere in the garage, will dig out tonight.

KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you took my post in the jovial manner in which it was intended. Sorry, I just couldn't resist. beer

On a serious note, sounds like you will be able to get a stock made in that pattern, which sounds great to me. Custom guns are all about getting what you want. Enjoy it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
KMuleinAK....Thanks, and you have a pm!

Marc...best laugh I've had in along time!

Hope you guys enjoyed as much as I did.

LeRoy

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
arch I have one in my hands the front is still square but it is inlet and roughed out to the front screw decent piece of walnut. 300 plus actual shipping cost. i can get you a picture when i get home.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT