THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Should Remington start making the Model 30 again?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should Remington start making the Model 30 again?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that Winchester have revived the Model 70 CRF pre 64, should Remington start making the Enfield 1917 based Model 30 again? What does everything think, and could we have a vote please? Thanks.

------------------
Mehul Kamdar

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm all for it, and would buy one in a heartbeat. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd certainly like to see a modern version of the Model 30S or Model 720, and without some silly locking device.

As appealing as that idea might be, I just don't think Remington (the current Remington, that is) will ever make such a move.

AD

<Don Martin29>
posted
I had a sporterized P-17 and it was too heavy for a 30/06. They had a neat safety however.

It's an old, obsolete design.

Besides short fat cartridges are fashionable so I don't see the demand.

But "Browning/Winchester" is having almost everything recreated in Japan. I saw a jap made M-63 the other day!

I don't think there is much nostagia for a M-30.

<JBelk>
posted
The whole action would have to be redesigned to use CNC equipment. I don't think it's realistic to think a major gun company would go back to machining forgings.....even if a drop forge operation could get past the EPA.

A much better solution would be a CRF, all steel action with original M98 safety features, in two sizes.

It would take a complete upgrade in tools, processes, and machines... and most of all the hiring of a designer that has at least *some* idea of how a bolt action rifle is supposed to work.

It looks like they don't have any of that now. I hope they do in the future. A good gun company is a terrible thing to waste...and Remington has been a wasteland since WWII.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the Remington of today did reintroduce the M30 they would probably screw it up anyway. I don't think they would be capable of making it just as Winchester is unable to reproduce the pre-64 M70. Instead they offer a compromiseddesign with a long extractor and tell us it's the same thing. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'd guess fewer than 5% of the shooting public even knows what a Model 30 is. A fraction of those people might be nostalgic about them.

Remington seems to be focused on getting maximum market share out of as few firearm platforms as possible. They're too "forward thinking" for such an endeavor. Where would they put the integral trigger lock? How would they fit an Etronix kit?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote