Find
Notify
Tools

Smallring Brno in 10,75x68?
 Login/Join

Picture of 3006swift
posted
Hi!
I have not been writing so much on your forums, but i've done a lot of reading Cool

Now I think i'm ready to start on my own little project.
I have a Brno 21H with a terribly pitted bore, and a Stock that have been broken, and mended and with all the checkering sanded off Confused Mad

I've also got my hands on a new barrel in 10,75x68, with M98 largering tread. I've been told that the treads can be recut for the smallring, and the barrel fitted to my Brno. I will naturally have to replace the stock aswell, and that will be step 2 of my project. Wink

Is there any reason why tis project should not take place, in your opinion?
I allso have had thoughts for a second barrel, say in 6,5x55. Is that possible?
I look forward to hear from all the knowlege here on this forum.

Posts: 12 | Location: No(r)way | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just an opinion but it almost seems like a waste of a nice small ring action like the 21H to put a barrel on it chambered for a larger cartridge like the 10.75x68. Why not find a suitable large ring action for that barrel and use the BRNO for a smaller caliber like the 7 x 57 or as you say the 6.5 x 55.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
This is just an opinion but it almost seems like a waste of a nice small ring action like the 21H to put a barrel on it chambered for a larger cartridge like the 10.75x68. Why not find a suitable large ring action for that barrel and use the BRNO for a smaller caliber like the 7 x 57 or as you say the 6.5 x 55.

+1........

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
If that was what I wanted I'd build a 10.75x68 on that action in a heart beat. In the scheme of things, the 10.75x68 is not a terribly hard kicker and as such can be built up as a (relatively) light trim rifle.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of 3006swift
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, fella's Cool
I'm aware over that it might seem a bit overkill to put a largebore on the Smallring, but I hope I can do it without to much tinkering with the action, and that it will be possible to reverse the prosess, or as I said maybe add a second barrel in 6,5x55 for practice and smaller game like reindeer.
Anyone know how much machining is needed to get the 10,75x68 feeding from an action buildt for 8x57IS?

Nowbody who can tell me about machining to get it to feed properly???

Picture of 3006swift
posted Hide Post
bump Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned five of these and currently have three, they are simply superb actions and can make outstanding custom rifles. BUT, anytime you machine or adjust the feeding in any Mauser-type action, you may make it non-functional for the original cartridge.

I suspect that adjusting the rails for the round you mention might well cause your action to become at least "iffy" in feeding the 6.5x55 as well. I like the idea of two barrels and would not mind doing my action into a rifle like that, my choices would be the 6.5x55 and the 9.3x62, a pair of outstanding cartridges and very compatible with the Brno 21/22 action.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of 3006swift
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply, Dewey.
I thought there might be a feeding problem in combining these 2 calibers, and I guess i'll have to check again with my smith.
Has anyone of the people here actually installed a 10,75x68 in a m98 originally for 8x57? And would you care to say something about how much machining is needed?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've done 458winmag and 376 steyr on mexican small rings..

if that round would fit in the action, I would have already done it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a 10.75x68 on a comercial FN that was a .270, it took only the barest of tinkering to feed beautifully, and will feed 6.5x55's with no problem ( just tried it). I'm doing another 10.75 on an cz 24, and can let you know of any issues as the project continues.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of 3006swift
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies.
I have now convinced myself that this is doable, and will probably go forward with it if I can get the finances together Roll Eyes