New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 7 rebore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could a Remington model 7 be rebuilt from New to a 35 Remington? And which caliber would be best for the project?

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No caliber it comes in will work for a 35 Rem which has a smaller case than a 243 for example. If you start with a 223 or the like, then you have the aded drama of re-doing the bolt face.
New barrel.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gather by now you know what I want it for ...how do I get there?
Want to build me one?
Or
I have a new in box Marlin 336 xlr 30-30 could that be opened up to the 35 Reminton? They were made in .35 too but after looking for 7 months for one I have given up.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes but it is much easier to buy one.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Remington actually did produce a small run of Model 7s in .35 Remington; I had one for a while and loved it and eventually was talked out of it (stupid me) by someone with a wad of cash who wanted to instantly rechamber it to .358 Winchester. As I recall, the bolt face was no different in diameter than for a 'standard' .308 case head and it did function flawlessly. That was also one of the motivations of the fellow who bought it to butcher. It would be worth trying a few 35 Rem cases in a standard bolt Remington rifle of some kind just to see.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We already know they will work; all the 35 Rems I build are on standard bolt faces, and in fact, most Swedish bolts will even work. I have done a few 35s.....

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Indeed you have, and do a grand job of it too! I missed the last two words of your first post: "New barrel."

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, .223 Rem 700 take-off barrels, and the like, can be found for cheap and are identical to Rem 7 tenons. Buy a model 7 with .473" bolt face and cheap take-off and have the barrels swapped and rebored. Hawk the old barrel to recoup some costs and in short order you'll have what you're after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember being told some years ago, by Danny Pederson, that he really didn't care to bore and re-rifle hammer forged barrels. Said irregularities can be found in some and they're too hard on tooling. He'd refer to bore & re-rifle a custom barrel that had originally been button or cut rifled because of the consistency of the steel. Easier on tooling and you get a better job, overall.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You will quickly find that Remington take off barrels are salable only as circus tent stakes; no one wants them; I have a pile of them to prove that.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes, likely -- though a 308 to 358 would be an easier path, due to bolthead and cases

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You will quickly find that Remington take off barrels are salable only as circus tent stakes; no one wants them; I have a pile of them to prove that.
I 'donate' mine to the scrap steel bin at the machine shop so they don't pile-up around my shop.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a new in box Marlin 336 xlr 30-30 could that be opened up to the 35 Reminton? They were made in .35 too but after looking for 7 months for one I have given up.

Does it have to be a Remlin xlr? If an older JM Marlin will do come to the next gun show in Oaks, PA. I always see a few for sale at that show. Normally in the $400-$500 range. Just do a search on "Eagle Arms gun show" to see the schedule.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
He wants one with a 24 inch barrel; the A version made in the 50s, and again in the I forgot; later. Like in the 80s. or 70s. 90s maybe.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As for a Model 7, a 308 to 35 remington would be super easy. Same as for a 358.