Find
Notify
Tools

A new legal BMG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
OK, so knowing the popularity of the 50 BMG and the fact it's treated like the scourge of the planet by the "I don't care how many people were killed by infections in hospitals or by drunk drivers, I just want those evil .50 BMG's off the street" crowd. I'm thinking of a more reasonable and potentially more powerful cartridge. I just found out that there is a .50 BMG AI (BIG neat-o factor) But what I'd like to do to keep it below the radar of the previously mentioned zealots is to neck that down to .458. I have NO experience with any of this but would appreciate comment, either here or off line. Cost (dies, reamers...) Platform, (current 50 BMG rifles) and stuff like that...

Discuss.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a 50 spotter cartridge? Wouldn't fill the bill for performance and milsurp compontents?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Figure the cost of getting a 50 bmg, press, and brass, then add the cost of custom chamber reamer, custom dies, and a press that can form the brass down, and form dies. In round numbers, you'd be looking at a minimum of $5,000 to make your wildcat, and you'll find few componet bullets that can handle the velocity.

There is a much better way to go, and it's called the 500 A-square. You take a standard magnum mauser action that can handle the 460 Weatherby case, have a 50 caliber barrel fit and chambered, and with a long throat, you can use 50 bmg milsurp bullets. You get ~2/3 the velocity of a 50 bmg, burn 1/2 the powder, and can build it in a rifle that is of reasonable weight 10-12#'s. You can also get set up starting with a CZ-550 action for ~$2500.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the AI modification better than the 458 cal solution. I wonder how much "improvement" it takes to qualify as a different caliber. Headspace just outside SAAMI specifications?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
It would have to be less than the .511. There are so many options for the 458 caliber that's where I'd like to end up. The spotter carts are just "de-tuned" 50BMG with a tracer or smoke

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Maybe this one fits your needs??

http://www.edmarms.com/products/510dtc.htm

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cali law says a 50BMG rifle is defined as a rifle that can chamber the 50BMG round. That leaves ALOT of room for changing just the shoulder angle and having an entire new round in the eyes of the (cali) law

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's lots of taper that can be removed from that case when you're not thinking about running it auto. You could probably shorten it to 4" COL and get very near factory ballistics.
Would that fit in a M1999 PH? gunsmile

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate:
Cali law says a 50BMG rifle is defined as a rifle that can chamber the 50BMG round. That leaves ALOT of room for changing just the shoulder angle and having an entire new round in the eyes of the (cali) law

Thanks for the clarification...
Then I'd need a .50 SMBMGAI
(Short Magnum Browning Machine Gun Ackley Improved...) I could even keep the .511 Bullet Diameter. You heard it here first!

Collins

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CW,
".511" bullet diameter" ...

anything over a .5" bore has to be approved by the ATF, which is why several new rounds have come out with a .500 bore.

So, sure, a .05 shorter BMG could make book under cali law, it would sill have to be atf approved... round and gun

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does that .511 diameter bullet fit the grooves in a barrel whose bore is 0.500?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the answer is "it depends"... but if a caliper shows greater than .500, you can bet your local atf COULD read the letter of the law.

As i understand it, ,someone was publicly arrested during a shotshow for a .512 wildcat

jeffe

476AR,

<kram>
posted
Just get the .50 B.M.G. its been around for ever and will be around when the others are just memories.One day they will make it a destuctive device and like the street sweepers you will be able to grandfather it out if you register it.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

As i understand it, ,someone was publicly arrested during a shotshow for a .512 wildcat

jeffe

"SSK's 14.5mm JDJ rifle is based on a 50BMG bolt action. The cartridge has a Destructive Device exemption. Scope is a 5x22 Nightforce. Barrel on this one is 36" plus muzzle brake and weighs 42 pounds."

Is this a situation where certain calibers are grandfathered? or there is a blanket exemption? JDJ has a 14.7mm and the website lists a "Destructive Devices Waiver" Does this cover ANYONE who owns said weapon? or are there other issues?

I've got a good relationship going with the ATFE and certainly don't want to "spend time with Martha"

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is some things were grandfathered in, as well as other rounds have been declaired ok since they are for "sporting" use. That is how .577, etc got the ok.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I was editing my mistake..

Collins

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Collins,
some rounds are grandfathered in, some are DD exception, and some are declared sporting rounds...

guess which one is easist to prove?

jeffe

476AR,