New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best welding stick??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For filling in small pits (non threatening to safety) on Mausers using the TIG welder.

Tanks

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I use 1/16 inch ER70S2 rod for almost everything gun related.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read in Kuhnhausen, and recall postings by Jack Belk, saying that pits couldn't be closed by welding on Mauser receivers because the surface carbon content is too high. Both recommended the drill/fill with a steel wire/peen over and file smooth method; then I see posted that the pits are indeed weldable.

Soooo... what's up with this?

Thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
I've read in Kuhnhausen, and recall postings by Jack Belk, saying that pits couldn't be closed by welding on Mauser receivers because the surface carbon content is too high. Both recommended the drill/fill with a steel wire/peen over and file smooth method; then I see posted that the pits are indeed weldable.

You may note that lawndart mentioned (non threatening) Good point! In the rear of the action, I see no problem with weld..and yes, they can be easily welded...but at the ring, two rules...never weld on the ring and never weld on the ring.

Soooo... what's up with this?

Thanks.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well then, and excuse me Lawndart, how much metal can one take off on the front to get rid of pits?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Parent metal is always the way to go

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Lost me- specifics?

Thanks, & thanks to all.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lost me- specifics?

Thanks, & thanks to all.

I think I understand him. I think he suggests using another Mauser action as a fill rod. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good; if I got it correctly, instead of a torch, I hold the donor action in my hand, and pee directly on a 440 line.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers guys.

Ya, safe area, drill out the hole just enough to make sure the metal is poifectly clean.

TIG in enough to fill it, the file or grind it level.

My instinct is to anneal all the metal first, make modifications and then have it CAREFULLY re-carburized/re-heatreated.

Then a final measurement and pass with the various tools to ensure things aren't too warped.

22 WRF, Just enough, not too much is the only answer that comes to mind.

Thanks Westpac; I think I inherited some of that from my adopted dad who died at age 59.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lost me- specifics?

Thanks, & thanks to all.

Well that's well and good so long as you know for sure what the alloy is.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote