Tools

Ruger 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All

I have a Ruger RSM 416, great rifle , but a heavy SOB Mad

The first rifle I have ever had a gun bearer carry

Any ideas how too lighten the bastard a little bit ?

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Don't feed him as much.

Oh, you meant lighten the rifle.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You talking SAFARIKID light, or a couple of pounds?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you sell it to me, dirt cheap, it'll lighten it by about 10 pounds. I need it to rebore to 450 Rigby.

On a serious note, I'm sure it's doable. The barrel is a little heavy, but that's a major undertaking. That big old action is pretty heavy too and I don't really know if there's anything you can really do to it to lighten it. In reality, as long as you're not hot-rodding the 416 Rigby, it's a low pressure rounds, so lightening the action might be doable. You might also think about a couple holes in the butt to lighen the stock, but that's gonna change your balance. You could take the barrel down to 20" which would probably cut off a bit, but then you gotta redo the front sight which could be expensive.

Bottom line is how much are you willing to spend to lose a pound or two? You might be better off selling the RSM and building a lighter rifle, maybe considering a 416 Remington or Taylor.

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the weight is in the ribs, barrel thickness, and stock... the newer ones are lighter .. heavy is a by word for the RSM, but they are built pretty darn tough

i doubt, without radical action, you can get a full pound off it, sorry

DO NOT start cutting on the receiver.. for two reasons.. 1: it's harder than an heck, 2: its cast, so it may not refinish well (purple) unless you have either new salts, or go right at 300degs (risking killing your salts)

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I know the weight is in the metalwork, have been thinking about that metal bar in the stock and shortening the barrel.

Only thing is this rifle shoots like a dream, no recoil(weight) and a serious moa 416 , I had a 3-9 Leupold on it and was doing 200 - 250 meter shooting without fear,

I do have a 450 Rigby as well, that weighs 9 1/4 pounds which is acepptable, the 416 is at 11 1/2 ,

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
easy things, one is the Rib, Gotta be half a pound there I would think, And the other is the stock.
An Mpi stock like on my Old JC higgins ways very little.
less than a mcmillon or a HS precicision.
Ain't cheap though. I live near the MPI shop. I took the rifle to them and they Did a great job bedding and the whole bit for about 700.00
Give or take 50.00
I bet that would shave a full LB off her or mabye a good deal more.
It makes for a real muzzlw heavy feel that might feel abit strange at 1st but is nice once you get used to it...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my RSMs in 416 Rigby and Lott. As you noted very accurate and fun to shoot (the weight helps in this Cool)

But they are heavy rifles, no doubt about it. You could try a synthetic stock (who makes a nice one for the RSM?) but I for one wouldn't consider milling off the rib...to me it is the feature that sets these rifles apart.

I guess I just accept and like my RSMs for what they are and will put up with the weight. For a lighter rifle you might have to look elsewhere?

Kwan, what action is your 450 Rigby based on and how is it stocked? Although I am a RSM fan in the bigger bores I am always looking for something different to try.

Take care,

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few of those in the shop. The last one was a 375 that weighed 11 pounds, 6 ounces!!! While they are a decent rifle they are rather beastly things as far as size goes. Other than reboring to a larger bore size and cutting the barrel down, there's not alot to do without completly loosing the basic flavor of the rifle.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

I am thinking about the only thing is shorten the barrel too 21 Inches, nd take out the cross flat bar and put in cross bolts.

The 450 Rigby was a 458 WM in Standard ZKK 602 rifle, had it shortned too 23 inches , bolt hole closed and jewelled, stock reworked too standard english style,

great rifle , shoots good, can carry it all day and it smack the be@#@$ out of big and hairy things dancing

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
There isn't much that can be done without some serious gunsmithing, at which point you'd be better off buying another rifle. The only area I can immediately see as being a semi-easy target for weight reduction would be the stock. There's a lot of extra meat there, especially in the forend (like holding a sub sandwich in your hand!). I'd say rasping about 1/2lb of wood off the front would do wonders for the balance and grip of the rifle.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Campfire Guide carried mine and I found the weight no problem at all. Smiler

If it was lighter the recoil would be up.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote