THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Stock work- splinter repair, crossbolt and pillar

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock work- splinter repair, crossbolt and pillar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, I have three repairs I need to make, hoping can get some input here.

1. a small piece, about 2" long, splintered/broke off. I was trying to make a bit more room in a too tight stock magazine area, scraper caught an edge and piece just broke off.

Can I just use some crazy glue to put it back?

2. the trigger on this rifle, a mauser, is held on by the rear action screw. if it slips down a little during operation, the safety when on, if trigger is pressed, will release the firing pin when taken off safe. I guess I didn't need to explain that. the important thing is, the local shop gave me a pillar to install.

do I drill the hole large enough, then put it in place and start filing/trimming it to the right length?

3. same rifle (all problems stem from the metal being installed too tight. not enough room for the magazine box). has a split in the stock, in the piece between the trigger and the magazine box. the classic spot for a crossbolt.

Local shop will for 30 bucks drill in a wood screw and put a couple of rosewood plugs. hmmm.. Or I could buy the kit from brownells and have the classic crossbolt look. it's a bit more money, but I think would look loads better. I guess this one is a question of opinion rather than how to.

Thanks guys.

Red
PS
I have a couple of old mauser crossbolts, the ones that have a rectangular block, but I have no idea how they'd get installed, and don't have the spanner wrench.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Photos?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a 1 hour setting epoxy -- the slower they set, the better it works. use latex tubing to hold it down.

crazy glue can work .. but its BRITTLE

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regard to the stock split, the same thing happened to my brother's old Mark X 7 mm Rem Mag that he has beat to hell for quite a few years.

I took a drill with two bits. One just a bit larger in diameter than the brass bolt I was using and a larger for the countersink.

I drilled the holes, put a bunch of glass bedding on the bolt, put it in, and tightened the nut. Then I mixed black dye with the glass and filled the holes.

Opinion? Cheap. Less than $3.00 to do it. Fast. Took about a half hour.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
crazy glue can work .. but its BRITTLE

I agree. A good quality wood glue will be stronger than the wood around it. Epoxy will work as well but not as forgiving on clean up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Adhesives used on wood In order of my preference.
1. Titebond wood workers glue or
2. Acraglas/gel Tied for first place or which ever I have on hand.
3. 3M DP420 A good replacement for acraglas
4. Elmer's carpenters glue
5. Any hardware store epoxy Junk in a tube because that is what it is.
6. When all else fails or I'm just plain lazy Crazy glue/ supper glue
It's nearly useless for wood repairs of even marginal quality. I would only use it to glue my kids cap gun back together.
It has great tinsel strength but incredibly low shear strength. As stated above it is brittle and will not absorb any shock at all.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Adhesives used on wood In order of my preference.
1. Titebond wood workers glue or
2. Acraglas/gel Tied for first place or which ever I have on hand.
3. 3M DP420 A good replacement for acraglas
4. Elmer's carpenters glue
5. Any hardware store epoxy Junk in a tube because that is what it is.
6. When all else fails or I'm just plain lazy Crazy glue/ super glue
It's nearly useless for wood repairs of even marginal quality. I would only use it to glue my kids cap gun back together though. It should never be used on a firearm of any quality
It has great tinsel strength but incredibly low shear strength. As stated above it is brittle and will not absorb any shock at all.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nothing wrong with that, and it won't expand like my normal ebony caps do!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that, before it gets hard, Acra-glas cleans up easily with vinegar.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike in Michigan:
Don't forget that, before it gets hard, Acra-glas cleans up easily with vinegar.

Now you tell me. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote