New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 788
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Cany anyone tell me if the trigger is adjustable on a Remington 788?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
No, it is not.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shilen makes a 700 type trigger modified to fit this.. or did..

i think canjar did (does?) as well

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Timney claims they are making it again.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Canjar made a set trigger but stopped about 10 years ago.

Timney says "possibly next year" but they've said that for over three years. The further out we go the more I doubt it. It's been a long time since the last 788 was made and I can't see anyone tooling up for a dead rifle line.

Shilen doesn't list any Remington triggers for the 788

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lefty315:
Cany anyone tell me if the trigger is adjustable on a Remington 788?

It is not adjustable, but Mike Bryant of bryantcustom.com has great reputation for modifying the 788 trigger to be adjustable.

Spuds

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My 788 has one of the best factory triggers that I have ever seen..I never even thought about adjusting it.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I have directions with a couple of drawings on how to make the trigger adjustable. It requires drilling and tapping a couple of holes and adding a screw for sear engagement. I did the trigger on my 788 using these directions and it came out under 2 lbs. If anyone needs a copy, I can email the directions in a MS Word document.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nashcat:
I have directions with a couple of drawings on how to make the trigger adjustable. It requires drilling and tapping a couple of holes and adding a screw for sear engagement. I did the trigger on my 788 using these directions and it came out under 2 lbs. If anyone needs a copy, I can email the directions in a MS Word document.

Nashcat

I would appreciate a copy of the instructions.
jmcmunn@imbris.net

thank you,

one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
I would like a copy

mike6-5@peoplepc.com

thanks arky65

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nashcat:

Nashcat

If my feeble memory is correct, the ability to add the adjustment screw on the 788 trigger was dependent on the "age" of the 788; Remington moved the safety linkage at some point, and it interfered with the necessary screw location.
My notes and drawing are from an ancient "Rifle" magazine, and mentions that point. My 788's have all been the newer models, not allowing that particular modification.
But since Mike Bryant doesn't mention it, there must be a way around that issue.
A local smith tweaked one of mine for me...did not make it adjustable, but improved it thru spring trimming and burnishing.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
OMJ and arky65

Emails sent.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timmney is making triggers for the 788. I will have 2 on Wed. or Thursday next week. Jerry's just received some this last week and was already almost sold out. $85.00 delivered if you are interested.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Timney just shipped an order to www.MidsouthShooterssupply.com on Feb 20th, so they should be stocked soon.

Frank