THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Price and suggestions for contouring barrel to match mine...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price and suggestions for contouring barrel to match mine...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a barrel contour which works well in the stock I have, but the barrel is crap.

Any recommendations for who could contour a blank to the same dimensions e.g. use mine as a pattern as you would do on a woodworking pattern lathe? I have seen prices ranging from $100 plus to less than $50, but having never had it done I am not sure what I am getting / asking.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tom
most of the barrel makers will get darn close in duplicating your barrel, most of the time close enough for fit, but it COULD be off.. they won't certify it WILL be the same..

generally 35-100 bucks..over the cost of the barrel
and they'll need your old barrel

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had PacNor duplicate a few barrels for me. They have always been within .005" of the origional. I think they charge an extra $40.00.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilja apparently charges an extra $30 (on top of the cost of the barrel blank) if the contour is not one they have programmed already.

I belive (check!), that Krieger matches contours for free.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I belive (check!), that Krieger matches contours for free.- mike

This depends on the barrel. They will only turn down their stainless bbls so far. CM barrels are a different story.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Krieger always seem to have been more careful about stainless than other barrel makers. Regardless of who is right on that issue, they do make nice barrels. Oh, and btw, most of the blanks I get tend to be of a somewhat heavier contour. I guess it goes to show I like weight in my barrel, makes the gun shoot better, makes the shooter shoot better...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Looks like the first price I found of $40 is pretty good.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote