New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mauser Suggestions Wanted
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay, finally going to take the plunge. I've been messing with a couple of Turks, but want build a nice, go-to rifle now. Looking at a Mexican Mauser or two.
Purpose: nice, relatively light multi-purpose gun.
Use: PA/NY Whitetail, occasional western US deer hunt, possible (?) sheep hunt.
Modifications: Surface grind, polish, square, new trigger, 2-position wing safety, drill and tap for scope mounts, hinged bottom metal?, rust blue

Suggestions I'm looking for:

Trigger?
Hinged Bottom Metal? Blackburn would be nice but the price is too much for me - 1/2 a hunt in the price, any other possibilities?
Stock will be walnut - no flexibility there.
Barrel Mfg and contour? (Will be CM - live near Hart but they only have SS)
Biggest - Caliber - Kind of open here. Love the 257 Roberts but have my heart set on a pre-64 70 for that. Have an FN 7x57 already. How would a 284 or 6.5x284 do in this action?

Anything you would like to suggest that I forgot would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5-284 on a Mexican Mauser that is just great. The rifle has a fixed floorplate and a light contour barrel, simple and easy to carry. The chambering will leave wanting for no more as it kills everything you point it at. Good luck and have fun.
DRM

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although not as much "pop" as a 6.5-284, a 260 Rem might require less tweaking to feed in the 7x57-designed Mauser. Just a thought.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built one in a .284 and one in a .257 Roberts. Don't let the pre 64 dream put you off on one in a Mexican Mauser. You NEED more than one .257 Roberts. I only have 3 and feel deprived.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is not a 1910 action, and is one of the earlier cock on closing actions, DO NOT chamber it for any high pressure rounds.

That being said, how about 250 Savage?

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure Chic, don't get me started on the 257. Already have a Mark X 257 and I do have two daughters....no, don't go there!

Spencer - That is another caliber I have thought about. Right now though I have a 243, 257, and 25-06 and didn't see a need for the 250. Of course, need has nothing to do with this. Also, am looking at a 1910 and a 1936, so pressure shouldn't be a problem (but the metal will be checked first).

I really do like the 257 but thought a 284 or 6.5x284 would give a little extra, but I have been known to be wrong. How tough is it to get these rounds to feed properly?

Thanks again. All opinions are appreciated.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have built (and might still have, depending) on mexican 98 smallrings
257 roberts, 708, 308, 358, 376 steyr and 458 winmag (yes, win mag, smallring... limits to 405's seated short, but it's HOOT)

708 or 358 would be the easist.... then 376 steyr

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting the .284 to feed is easy ....... Send it to Jim Dubell.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic - You're just not playing fair. Yes, Jim is on the list for much of the work now if I could just afford it.............

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If I ever complete this Mex Mauser, I'll probably use the bottom metal shown at the bottom, it's off a Spanish Mauser, hinged and fits perfectly as is. Needs surface grinding, along with the action. I'll probably go with a 250-3000, maybe another 7x57 or possibly a 6.5x55. Jeffe's 376 is a good option for a large caliber.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a nice 1936 that I regret selling. My plans were to barrel it in 7x57 Ackley Improved, which should equal the 284, if you don't mind fireforming. If not, another one to consider (maybe better) is the 6.5x55 BJAI. Nothing against the 284 case, but you can at least equal it's performance with an AI Mauser case, which will fit well in your magazine.

Hinged bottom metal may be difficult w/o mag well mods since the Mexican is a non-standard length.

Barrel mfg: IMO, the best deal going in a premium CM bbl is Lothar Walther. They have pre-chambered LR Mauser barrels for an insane low price, but you'll need to have it rethreaded for the SR Mexican.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006 - Sent you a PM

What type of Spanish Mauser is that bottom metal from? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken the Mexican Mausers are not small ring actions, rather large ring short actions...Perhaps the 1910 Styr Mexican action is a small ring, don't recall...

The 1937 is a Springfield like short action, large ring..Its a neat little action with the Springfield cocking piece as I recall...

My choice for a any rifle action thats not a magnum is the little G33-40....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,
we've done this before...

1910 and 1936 are small ring 98s. PERIOD
1926 are wEiRd

1936 has cocking piece, like a krag (heh... which is carried over into the springfield) BUT it has a 1 piece firing pin, which means it is NOT IN ANYWAY SAFE to have it down on a loaded round
i've got too damn many of them to not know this

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff -

That's why I refer to the Mexican as the 'poor man's G33/40'. Just can't afford the price of the G33/40's. Have only seen a couple under $500 and those had been worked on by Bubba.

Is the VZ 12/33 close to a G33/40 (besides having '33' in the name-has nothing to do with Rolling Rock)

posted Hide Post
SmallCal -- To me such a small classic action calls for some type of classic caliber 6.5x55, 6.5x57,7x57 or even a 250 Savage.I have a 1910 Mexican rifle in the safe that I hope to turn into a lightweight 8x57.
Last year I finished a VZ-33 in 7x57 that weights in at 6.5 lbs in its English walnut stock, oh what a sweet little rifle. The 1910 and the G33/40 customizations might have to wait while I enjoy this one.

fla3006 What type of Spanish Mauser did that hinged floorplate come off of if I may ask?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are you guys finding your Mexican actions?

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ Ray, how many times do you have to hear it. THEY ARE A SMALL RING ACTION. In fact, look at the photo that was posted 2 hours before you replied.

Chic Worthing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are you guys finding your Mexican actions?

I just sold one for $200.00 I had held on to it for years.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
La_man:fla3006 What type of Spanish Mauser did that hinged floorplate come off of if I may ask?

I'm not really sure what kind of rifle it was, it was on ebay and the hole spacing was right so I took a chance. A friend tells me it is a "Spanish" Mauser. The bottom metal on a 96 Swede will work too but isn't hinged. If I use this bottom metal, I'll probably replace the floorplate with a straddle type.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
I have a similar one but the hinge is hidden and the rear button is on the side of the front edge of the trigger bow. I was told mine was from a Swede.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
Is the VZ 12/33 close to a G33/40 (besides having '33' in the name-has nothing to do with Rolling Rock)

If I am not mistaken, the VZ-33 is almost identical to the G.33/40. The G.33/40 was made in Germany and the VZ-33 was made in (I believe) Chekoslavokia. I believe that the VZ-33 was made much earlier than the G.33/40. The G.33/40 was made for moutain troops during the war.

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF -

Please tell me you are serious. I have the opportunity to pick up a couple of VZ 12/33 actions fairly inexpensively and if they are nearly identical to the G33/40, man would I be happy!

Thank you.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The 12/33 actions are standard 98s, not small ring 98's.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r - yep, after checking into it a little deeper, the small ring VZ is the VZ 16/33. That is the model the Germans used as a basis for the G33/40. Oh, well. I'll stick with the Mexican Mausers. Thank you again for the information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mexican, and early one, 1910 I believe, that iwould be willing to part with. Give me and email or call. I don't respond well to PM's; I usually miss them.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SmallCal:
22WRF -

"Please tell me you are serious. I have the opportunity to pick up a couple of VZ 12/33 actions fairly inexpensively and if they are nearly identical to the G33/40, man would I be happy!"

Small Cal

I am serious because I have seen small ring VZ-33s years ago and they looked almost identical to G.33/40s that I have also seen.

With regard to bottom metal for the mexicans. You might want to look at a 1909 Argentine Bottom Metal to see if you could make it work. I know that there have been some smiths who have cut large rings down to take shorter cartridges and have actually cut the magazines down and reweleded them to fit. Don't see why that couldn't be done for a mexican as well.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
6.5 Rem Mag.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic et al.,
I recall this and I brought it up to Jack Belk and he told me that was wrong, the Mexicans were large ring short actions not small rings..I don't have one on hand, and assumed he was correct, and perhaps I misunderstood him, who knows...At any rate I will bow to the masses and retract my statment...but I will mic the next action I come across..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I'm not bringing this up just to pile on because I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.
Back in 2001 you saw Jack Belk working on my 1936 Mexican small ring it had the 26" lt. wt bbl. from Lothar Walter in .257 Roberts and he did a photo essay on it back then. Surface grind, blind rear Tg hole, Talley bolt, W.70 safety etc. He told me you thought it was cute and would like to buy it if it were for sale. It has the 03 type cocking piece and a small ring.
Bob

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Ray,

The 1910 & 1936 Mexicans are small ring 98s. They are shorter than the standard 98 and the front ring nominally measures 1.300" or so. The standard 98 front ring measures about 1.410".

Many apply the term Small Ring Mauser to mean all pre-98's and also apply Large Ring to the 98 variants. It is true that all pre-98's are small ring. But, the 98 variants come in all sorts of flavors; short action, intermediate, standard, magnum, etc, more than I know that's for sure. And, in addition to the length of the action, some come threaded to accept small ring barrels others large. Further confusing this is the actual physical dimension of the front ring. They are available in both small ring (1.300") and large ring (1.410") proportions.

The vz33, G33/40, and aforementioned Mexicans all measure 1.300" roughly. They also are threaded to the small ring shank size, .980"x12 tpi. The Kar98a shares the external ring dimension of these but it is threaded for a large ring shank 1.100"x12 tpi. To confuse matters more, the Mexicans share the same external measurements as intermediate Mausers, like the various Yugos and the FN 24 excpet in the front ring where they are smaller. While the vz33, G33/40, and kar98a are based on the standard 98 action but again differ only in front ring size. The Mexicans have some other differences that are peculiar to them but we don't need to go into those.

Hope this helps.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I forgot!! nut

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three, a 257AI, 376 Steyr, and 416 Aagard, and will soon have a 338/376 Steyr. Neat rifles.

Bob Mehaffey

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I've got a Mexican, and early one, 1910 I believe, that iwould be willing to part with. Give me and email or call. I don't respond well to PM's; I usually miss them.

Jim
Jim, your profile lists neither a phone number or an e-mail address.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mexican mod. 1924 was an intermediate large ring action (made by FN Belgium). It also uses the standard large ring threads. The 1910s and 1936s were made by FN Mexico. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
IF you don't want two 7X57's, IMO the .284 Win. is just a little more of the same, although either would do well for the game you listed! So would a .270 or a .25/'06, but these two are probably too long for the magazine box.

The 6.5X55 or even the 6.5X57 would work well in your action, and give you a little lighter bullet than the 7's.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW:
The g33/40 action is identical to the VZ33 action except for the front screw lug on the later g33/40 is shaped differently...at least the ones I have seen. The VZ has an ogive to the front of the lug and the action for the German gun noted is squared there. Cheaper to produce??

I think the small ring 1910 and 1936 Mexicans are about three ounces heavier than the Czech version.

Why not a 6.5x57 on the Mex?

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of the input, please keep it coming. I like the 284 but started having second thoughts since this action will hold a longer cartridge. Right now I'm leaning toward either a 257 Roberts, 6.5x55 or 6.5x57. Those just seem tailor made for this action.

Also, on the VZ-33s. There appears to be two variants. The VZ 16/33 is the precursor to the G33/40 and the 12/33 is a Large Ring action, as confirmed by the gentleman that I am looking to purchase the 12/33s from.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
376 steyr!!!!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe -

Sounds like a good option for some, but I'm a recoil wuss. It is also possible that this would be used by my kids as they get older so recoil is a concern.

But you have piqued my curiousity, how hard does that hit your shoulder?