New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375/ 338 to .375 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a favorite Ruger 77 Mark II with a Pac Nor .375/ 338 barrel that shoots 1" groups at 200 yards( when I'm up to it). Can I convert it to .375 Ruger with just a chamber reaming? I plan on taking it with me on my first trip to Africa in 2010 as my buffalo rifle, and I figure I'm better off with a factory caliber. Thanks.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the answer is.. it SHOULD, but depends on the diameter of your shoulder.. it will probably be a couple .001 larger at the belt/casehead

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had John Farner,AKA toomanytools do mine. He did a first class job. It was on a 1909 Arg, so we sent it away for reheat treat while it was apart. John does great work.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be hesitant to do anything to a gun that shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. However, if you insist on rechambering to .375 Ruger, the worst you would likely have to do is set the barrel back a thread or so to ensure completely cleaning up the barrel. The least of your worries is how it fits at the current belt recess as fit at this portion of the head is not critical.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, Good point....I've had the same concern. I may end up having to get attached to a new Ruger rather than meddling with a good thing.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
If you want a Factory Caliber to take to Africa because you might need to buy ammo for it there, then the .375 Ruger is not a good choice? The places I have been do not have a large selection of calibers. Just a thought?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote