New
Find
Notify
Tools

ID this old scope + Win 70 Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone identify this old scope? There are no markings. The scope has post reticle and is only adjustable for elevation. The rings attach to the bases with a series of allenhead screws with the rear ring having a windage adjustment. Funny thing was the rear scope base was steel and the front was aluminum. The scope is 7/8" steel. It appears to be a 1 or 2X at the most. It is clear but obviously the optics aren't that great. Is it worth anything?

The scope behind it is an (El Paso)Weaver K-6. Its solid and clear as well. Some light rust under the old rings. Again, worth anything? Collectable?

Finally, I need a standard magazine follower and magazine spring for a pre-64 Win 70, .270 Winchester caliber. Serial # is in the 180,0XX range. (when was it made?) Anyone have these parts in decent shape they'd sell reasonable or know where I can get them?

Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
The weaver is worth about $50-$60. I don't know for sure what the other one is.

You might try this in the classifieds.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wisner's has new made pre-64 parts for sale.
http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/winchester/70pre.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
scope in front, is it steel? magnet will help..
if steel, it's a weaver.. looks like one to me..
5-15 bucks
j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Your rifle was made in 1951

1951 - Serial # Range: 173,151...206,625

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope in front is definitely steel, 7/8" tube. The are absolutely no markings on it whatsoever except for the graduations of the elevation knob. As I said there is an aiming post instead of crosshairs--which leads me to believe its European in origin. Plus the bases/rigs use alot of allenhead screws which american gun makers didn't use alot of 50-60 years ago.

Thanks for all the help with everything else so far!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got a weaver LIGHT horizontal hair, with post, about 2.5X .. I'll pull the caps off it and post a pic.. it's a 1" tube, though...
j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
The scope in front is definitely steel, 7/8" tube. The are absolutely no markings on it whatsoever except for the graduations of the elevation knob. As I said there is an aiming post instead of crosshairs--which leads me to believe its European in origin. Plus the bases/rigs use alot of allenhead screws which american gun makers didn't use alot of 50-60 years ago.

Thanks for all the help with everything else so far!

Mount might be Leupold, in the '50's they made an adjustable mount that used allen screws, (I have one in 1" for a mod 70) Scope I do not know about. My guess is European, but strictly a guess. I never saw a Weaver like that, but I haven't seen everything!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a weaver 2.5 power scope that looks just like it. I think someone gave it to me. It is on my Marlin 1894 22 mag. Still works, but I am not sure that the weaver overhaul bunch would mess with it.