Find
Notify
Tools

Just finished, ready to ship
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kobe, nice work!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just looked as the pics and have one thing to add WOW wish it was my rifle or i had the talent to make one as well done Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Thats a real beauty! Like the wrist shot from above. This was one of my failings for a long time. Well done.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Real nice job. It is unfortunate that others see the need to cut someone down. If you had asked and it was honest critique that's one thing but if Rem 721 cannot see the work in the pictures, than he should have asked to see a close up of an area he might have had interest in before making such a comment. It is true that we cannot see all the details but even the best pictures don't show the whole story. That's why we like to hold and use nice guns, because we can enjoy them more up close than we ever can in any picture or even a series of pictures.

Here comes my rant...

We are all here in the gunsmithing section of the forum to learn and get better at what we do. Bashing just hinders that process. It makes a new guy (I'm not speaking of you Jim), afraid to show his work as he thinks he is going to be slammed.

In my early works I know that I didn't do everything right. I wanted critique so that I could do a better job with each new gun. Heavy handed (read cruel) comments to make me feel bad might have made me give up. I was blessed with a dad that has a great ability to teach. He pointed out how to do better but didn't kick me in the teeth.

Bottom line to anyone who feels the need to critique another's work, wait until they ask for it and then make it constructive. Slamming someone is a political move and one of a person wanting to somehow feel better or more superior than another. He might stand taller but it is only because he is standing on the bodies of the ones he has left in his wake. History is riddled with such people and they are never talked about in the long run in a positive light.

As for the proud metal work, I didn't see it but would point out the fact that Jim lives in Minnesota and that the gun was seen in Reno Nevada. Wood moves and differently for each blank. Even the best maker in the world could find their tightly fitted gun fitting a bit differently when it is taken that far from where it was made. The real story is told if the owner says something about it and how the maker deals with it. I have no doubt that Jim would make it right even if it was due to wood movement that was/is not under his control. Before anyone gets on the....but the wood should have been dried this way or that, should have been... whatever. Know that we do our best to eliminate all the variables we can with drying, finish, etc... but wood is wood. Even plastic stocks move, it just takes more extremes for them to do it. Thermal expansion and contraction, humidity factors; well they are all facts of life.

Jim, I am also one who thinks you should bring your work to the guild for review. We need more people who do the best work they know how to do and strive for excellence.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Hey!, What a fine piece of work, As to asmall imperfections real or imagined, If their isn't one,Then it,s not a man made object!!, Woodwork looks good enough to eat Eeker

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote