New
Find
Notify
Tools

shotgun pad questions and stock shortening
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, got some shotguns in the family that have 30+ yo pads, and one that needs to be shortened for my nephew. I have a few preguntas (questions) for you guys:

1. How can I cut a stock squarely? I have a small bandsaw that is probably good for doing it, but how do I keep it square? eyeball seems iffy

2. I have a decelerator off of one of my rifles, is that ok for a shotgun and it's a bit big by maybe 1/8", can they just be ground and ground or is there a limit?

3. Same decelerator, missing the plugs that fill it, I thought, no problem, I read somewhere that with a leather covered pad you use pieces of dowel in the holes. I thought good thing to practice leather covering later. Is that true, dowels work? I thought they'd hurt your shoulder under recoil

4. I was thinking instead of pads on the other ones, since I know my siblings and know I'd be "donating" them, I was thinking about getting one or two slip on pads, could allow me to add length to guns as my nephew/nieces/daughters grow etc. what do you guys think?

5. I love limbsaver pads for my rifles, but what's good on shotguns?

I know, that's a lot of questions. thanks for your time.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutting square is maybe something that if you need to ask you shouldn't be doing!

Personally I'd argue get the job done professionally by someone who does a lot of similar work AND keep the off cut.

That way when you do want the stock lengthened back again you've got the off cut still available.

Anything that alters the balance of the shot gun from being "between the hands" is going to be detrimental. Period!

Your limbsaver pad if it doesn't do that won't cause any mischief.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red, my method is to put a piece of tape on the stock and put a pencil line where I want to end up. I cut short of the line with the band saw. And yeah, it'll be crooked. I use a 2" belt sander to come up to the line, straightening it as I go. It's a good idea to stop short and hold the stock up to see if you're straight from side to side. It's easier to fix before you get to final length. If you don't trust your eyes, use a small square to check the cut end to the side. The sides of the stock aren't perpendicular to the end but you can still get a good indication by moving the square side to side and looking at the gap. Or use 2 squares.

The decelerator should be OK on your shotgun. You can regrind it as many times as you like, until you hit the steel plate inside.

For a plug, why don't you cut one out of the old pad? Here's a picture tutorial on making a plug cutter, http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Bl...37D28/37d28_2.html#8 . You can even use a piece of tubing and skip the lathe and mill work. The whole thing could be made with a hack saw and a small file. Steel is best, but even brass will work if you're not concerned about tool life. You're only cutting rubber. If the pad is the same color, you don't even have to worry about covering it. Who knows, maybe red plugs in a black pad will be "in" next year.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a miter (aka chop) saw with a fine blade. Top of comb against fence, adjust angle of cut as necessary. Use shims under the stock as needed so the cut is square (90 deg.) with the bore line. Same method can be used with a radial arm saw. You could probably cut a plug out of pencil eraser (art store), or even use foam earplugs if the diameter is right.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The band saw is OK, if you have a belt sander to get final, flat surface. If using a saw, make sure to get a "planer" blade. It leaves the end of the cut nice and smooth, often does not need to be sanded.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys with the good answers, I do have a sander actually. We'll see if he brings me the gun in time for next weekends shooting. I'm gonna see if I don't have an old pad around there that would work out right for plugs in this one.

If he doesn't bring it this week I'll just wait until we can pull the radial arm out of storage and use that, sounds like it makes the job a bit easier.

I have installed about 4-5 pads, and done as good a job as the ones I had done elsewhere, with the exception of trying to install the pad on my 375 with the metal in the stock still, midnight, slipping and miffing the finish in a spot. Smiler but I have never shortened a butt.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote