New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do to finish it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my 1917 Enfield back from having a scope base milled to fit it and a scope mounted on it. I'm going to shoot it to see how it does as a .300 H&H. I pretty much bought the rifle in the condition you see it now.

I do have a Richard's Microfit laminate stock to put on it. The rifle already has a speedlock kit in it, and the trigger guard straightened. Of course the bolt face and feed rails have already been worked. It needs a trigger as the one in it has miles of creep in it. Haven't got a chance to take the action out of the stock yet.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A new bolt handle makes a world of difference. But it will set you back around $150.00, plus or minus.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Armstrong will do it for less than $85 including insured shipping and is very good. www.accu-tig.com
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your well on they way, perhaps in the future straighten out the bottom metal and re-stock. As far as the bolt handle goes, this what I did in the past and it came out quite well. Cut the bolt (hacksaw) about midway across the kink, flip and realign the nob end with the body end and weld back together. Grind off the excess and polish, saves buying anything and you still have the original bolt nob. --- John 303.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
spot bed it and shoot it!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
spot bed it and shoot it!

That is the plan, to shoot it at least. Don't think I'll change the stock just yet. Hope my shoulder can hold up to 200 grain NPT and that metal but plate!

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Put a Timney trigger in it and then shoot it.

Fitting a timney is like the kind of girl friend you wanted in high shool, very easy. rotflmo

Keith

ps: leave the bolt handle alone.

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Put a Timney trigger in it and then shoot it.

Fitting a timney is like the kind of girl friend you wanted in high shool, very easy. rotflmo

Keith

Keith, that is the kind of girlfriend I want now. Big Grin

Listen to Keith as he has two very nice Enfield actioned rifles. [and he knows something about good girlfriends clap] I have handled his 458 Lott, and even though it only has one bbl, I like it.

I do not see anything wrong with the original bolt handle either.

ps: leave the bolt handle alone.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Two of our third year gunsmith apprentices are working on P-17's as required projects. They have each taken a different approach to the build. one is going full hog on building a show piece the other is building a hunter.

In over 30 years as a professional gunsmith I never once got up in the morning and didn't want to go to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by koginam:
Two of our third year gunsmith apprentices are working on P-17's as required projects. They have each taken a different approach to the build. one is going full hog on building a show piece the other is building a hunter.

I want a hunter, not interested in show pieces though I wouldn't turn one down. Big Grin Not too interested in changing the bolt handle that and the safety make it kind of unique. I've seen them both ways, with the orginal bolt handle cleaned up and with a different one, I liked them all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One way to get good results in removing the rear sight ears is to use a combination of cutters which give an outside conrour matching both the laft side of the action and the interior of the bridge. A 3/8" radius cutter, a smaller diameter 5/8" flat cutter, and another opposite 3/8" radius cutter gives a perfect effect. I did a couple and used a horizontal mill. It could be done on a Bridgeport, but not in one setup. I can't emphsize strongly enough how appropriate this is. It is better than any other treatment I have seen Asquare hanibal included. It leaves a 5/8" rib in the center of the bridge. By filling in the ovaloid hole there, several excellent sight options can be used. I can't post pictures here, but if you go to Benchrestcentral.com/gunsmithing/ I will post a thread called P14/17 sights and put the pictures there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the pictures are up. This setup provides uniform wall thickness at the bridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S. It was also easy. Once setup on the mill, you don't even have to remove the rear sight, just mill it off. This also removes the upper lug for the bolt release. I agonized over how to solve this problem, until I assembled it an found the upper lug is not needed. No problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Papapaul,

That link is dead for me.

Thanks,

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylorce1,

If you want a different trigger in your Enfield, check out http://www.huberconcepts.com/E...ger_ReplacementX.htm.

I installed one of these in a Mauser I'm building and it's a VERY nice trigger, easy to install and very adjustable.

The nice thing is you can call the company and chances are the president of the company will answer the phone! And he's always ready to talk guns and shooting.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one problem with the original dog-leg bolt handle; when firing, it will give the shooter's index finger a smart rap and even cause bruising and, ultimately, flinching. Some shooters don't have this problem but others find it quite painful and distracting.

Plus IMO it's WAY ugly.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by papapaul:
the pictures are up. This setup provides uniform wall thickness at the bridge.

Sorry, the addy leads me to THE most useless site I've ever seen, no way to get anywhere near a talk forum from there that I could see, just a page with a lot of contact info for sales companies. I've heard about Benchrest Central before but, judging by the addy I reached, I won't be going there again any time soon. Too bad.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J.D. see if this will get you there.

http://benchrest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it to Cal at the Shootin Den. He can do the trigger and any bolt work you need done. Very reasonably priced. He has put Timney's on three 1903 Springfields of mine and did the bolt on one of them. Only charged $95 to do the bolt which included a beautiful custom handle. He sends guns out for re-bluing projects but the guy he sends them to does a great job of polishing and rebluing. Had all three 1903 Springfields and one 30-40 Krag reblued through him.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rojelio, that one worked fine! A very interesting treatment, I can see many fine possibilities there.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to send pictures to anybody who wants them. I just haven't learned how to post them here. I can't emphasize enough how this treatment takes away all the akwardness of the P14/17 and makes it look commercial. Asquare needs to look at those photos, it is way better than the way they do it on their hannibal. With a straight trigger guard and a commercial bolt, you would never know this was ever a P14/17.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstooler:
Take it to Cal at the Shootin Den.
Barstooler

Cal at the Den had this rifle since May. I was going to have him do more work on it but he has been fighting with Bells Palsy. Plus the owner of the Den passed before December. They couldn't find anyone to buy the store so Saturday was the last day of business. The rest of the stuff now goes to Auction on the 25 of April. Cal was only able to get the scope mounted by last Thursday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
There is one problem with the original dog-leg bolt handle; when firing, it will give the shooter's index finger a smart rap and even cause bruising and, ultimately, flinching. Some shooters don't have this problem but others find it quite painful and distracting.

Plus IMO it's WAY ugly.
Regards, Joe

I've heard that as well, but I thought I'd leave that for last. I'd shoot it and see if I can leave it, if I get my finger bit a lot then I'll have to change it. The bolt handle will be my last changes if I do it at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylor,

I have never used him, but a friend of mine recommends a gunsmith down in Pueblo. He has built 2 "F Class" rifles for him and his work appears good. If you want his contact info, just let me know.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote