THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is a South Bend Heavy 10 long enough to do barrel contours?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a South Bend Heavy 10 long enough to do barrel contours?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted
Is a South Bend Heavy 10 long enough to do barrel contours?

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not mine. 20" between centers makes for a short barrel. there are different bed lengths, so you have to check. IIRC mine is standard, at 3 1/2 feet. but that includes room for the headstock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is if you have a 48" bed. Those are harder to find and a lot pricier.

Keep in mind the taper attachment is only... X? long so you would have to do the taper in multiple stages.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1489 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
custom barrel profiling cost $35 bucks when you order most barrels - just saying

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, to my knowledge most barrel manufacturers have a limited number of contours. I have a number of customers (probably 1 or more a month) ask me to custom contour barrels. I usually point them to the manufacturer but most do not have the style or type wanted by the customer.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had all different lengths of the 10L and is I was going to buy another it would be a 54" or I wouldn't buy it. A 48" probably wouldn't be bad. Make sure it has the 1&3/8" thru hole. Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, make sure it is a HEAVY 10 as they did make 10's with the same spindle as the 9.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
My 10L was about 28" between centers. It had a 48" bed. It is also long gone sold off a few months ago. and if it wasn't for one guy out of the blue I would have had to give it away.

People still are not parting with the cash like they used to.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many barrels are you planning on turning?

Blake

Posts: 45 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
custom barrel profiling cost $35 bucks when you order most barrels - just saying

Thanks Jeff. I'm just going to order them pre-contoured. I pretty much just need to cut threads then.

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to run a lathe, grind your own tools and single point thread?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.grizzly.com is now a parts dealer for South Bend

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
www.grizzly.com is now a parts dealer for South Bend

No. They are not a dealer. They bought the company lock stock and barrel.
Grizzly is South Bend lathe

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny , they just changed their website . A few days ago it said they were a parts supplier not owner of SB .

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nat,
most barrel makers will turn any profile you can give them ... shilen and pacnor and douglas to name a few,,, if they won't then the contour i want to pay for, then well, they don't want my money

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
That's funny , they just changed their website . A few days ago it said they were a parts supplier not owner of SB .

A few years ago Grizzly acquired South bend. There was a big right up on one of the Yahoo groups south bend pages. They are keeping the businesses separated but they are both owned buy the same guy

The Cool thing is they are keeping the history alive and you can buy a brand new made in America South bend 10K lathe.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:

The Cool thing is they are keeping the history alive and you can buy a brand new made in America South bend 10K lathe.

I was thrilled to hear this until I saw the price! Holy wow batman. I could buy 10 used 60's era lathes for the same price.

Not bashing them, the last lathe I had quoted (for where I worked, not me personally) was well over $500,000, for a manual lathe mind you. So I understand it is expensive to make a quality lathe in the US and I applaud them.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I never saw a price But I know machine tools and would expect that machine to be near $10K with a tooling package. New machines are expensive as hell.

You can't get a good new engine lathe for less then $10K in the 16X40 size range.

That said a New Bridgeport mill bare bones is $15K

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think if you check you will find that they are not made in the USA.

"There is a bloody brave little animal called the honey badger in Africa. It may be the meanest animal in the world. It kills for malice and for sport, and it does not go for the jugular-it goes straight for the groin. It has a hell of a lot in common with the modern American woman."
Robert Ruark-The Honey Badger
SGB7x57@Gmail.com
360-918-8283
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
WANT TO RETURN TO AFRICA CLUB Life Member

Posts: 187 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Given the percentages you have to follow to get a Made in America label

some of them are made in America. They may have parts sourced from other countries but they are made right here.

http://www.southbendlathe.com/...cts/lathes/10K-Lathe

They do make other lathes that do not carry this label so yes choose wisely

www.KLStottlemyer.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

some of them are made in America. They may have parts sourced from other countries but they are made right here.

I see made in the USA on the stand....but not the lathe.

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Barrel contouring can be done on smaller lathes, you just have to do it sectionally. Lots of work and striking is a must.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg y.:
quote:

I see made in the USA on the stand....but not the lathe.

You know you might be right. Maybe the whole line is imported

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't say either way on the website. But there is a "proudly made in the usa" sticker on one of their cabinets. Not that that means the lathe is made here, just the stand.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When the owner of SB was getting ideas for his improved version of the 10K, he spent some time on another forum that I read. He stated then that it would be produced in his Asian factory, I believe in Taiwan, but would be built to higher standards.
James

J.R.

Posts: 19 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can get the barrel deeply enough into the headstock it`s amazing what can be done with a little [read LOTS] of careful hsndwork. I had [my first REAL lathe] a small South Bend with only 18-20 between centers but the hole through the headstock was still 1.3 +- and I tapered quite a few barrels and learned a lot of how to work around the limitations of a small lathe. Makes getting a full-size lathe so much more pleasant. I also learned a lot about draw-filing.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
My little SB Heavy 10 has 28 between centers and the little sweet heart came with a taper attachment.

I have an old 14 inch Pratt - Whitney lathe with a 5 horse 220 motor on it for sale. Has some descent tooling with it. Needs a good bath

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHY USE A TAPER ATTACHMENT
WHY NOT USE A PROFILE COPY

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highcountry2:
WHY USE A TAPER ATTACHMENT
WHY NOT USE A PROFILE COPY

OK, I'm always wanting to learn new stuff. What is and how does a "profile copy" work. Sounds very intriguing and work saving.
bewildered

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mount a stationary barrel - whatever contour you want- on the back side of your lathe then run a finger over to copy it
thats how we always did them
can copy an exact duplicate of a mod 70 with the bump

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
mount a stationary barrel - whatever contour you want- on the back side of your lathe then run a finger over to copy it
thats how we always did them
can copy an exact duplicate of a mod 70 with the bump

Damn Highcountry2, Why didn't I recognize that "tracer lathe" system. Been a whole bunch of years since I left the shop. I was a tool maker for Hellstrom Steel for a great many years then went racing with hot rod cars. Now that I'm retired my interest has returned to guns and shooting. That is just so simple that I feel ashamed. I thank you kindly sir.

tu2

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
For that reason right there.

Few if any gunsmiths have a tracer system manual or Hydraulic.

You would need one machine pretty much dedicated to barrel work. As set up time would be a pain. and most gunsmiths aren't in the business of being quick change machinists.

And for a few bucks more a barrel maker will contour custom profiles.

Now that said if you have the tools and time by all means go for it. I'm not knocking it just I think most Gunsmith wouldn't have a clue how to set up a copy lathe let alone want to invest in the fixtures.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lucky zaugg made one for my lathe
30 bucks in parts
one hour to install permantly
change from one barrel to another as fast as you can crank ( not the sniffing kind ) the tail stock handle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
setting up a copy lathe was taught in high school woodshop
same concept
only requrements you should be capable of shooting a bird over a pointing dog

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the set up.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
simple
mount a full length piece of dove tail bar stock same taper as tool post
drill and tap to back side of bed
slide two tool post holders on to it -
weld a dead center to each of the tool holders
to insert into each end of barrel to hold as a pattern the tool holders can slide accross the rail to the proper location

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to see the set up.

I would also like to see the set up.

Highcountry2, can you draw up some sort of schematic of the set up?

popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your hurting me i really need to get to montana fly fishing

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
quote:
your hurting me i really need to get to montana fly fishing

Highcountry2, go fishing, I can wait. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.