Find
Notify
Tools

Rear sight options.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I've been following the 400 Whelen Headspace thread under Bigbore. I just about decided to build another version of my own wildcat 416PDK but this time in 411. Nice bigbore needs a set of open sights as well as a scope. However my old eyes have gotten to the point that express sights are just a touch better than nothing.

I know NEC makes a peep that mounts on a weaver base. But that is an extra piece for me to lose. N Garret's 400 Whelen shown on that tread has a peep mounted on the cocking piece. I've seen other rifles with that type of sight as well. Any info or leads as well as other sight options would be appreciated.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Dave Talley makes a pop up peep in his rear base.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave Talley

This rifle will be on a MKX action. I thought Tally only made the popup for the Winchester. I had see his and liked what I saw. Do you know if it works on the Mauser base? I had checked his site and couldn't tell.

Emailed the site to see what they say.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Look at the Rigby cocking piece peep that is being produced by Rusty Marlin on this forum. The first batch should be about ready and he would produce in groups of 4 as he got orders. I'm going to put one on one of my 375's. They appear to be quality work.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the Rigby cocking piece peep that is being produced by Rusty Marlin on this forum

Thanks that was one of the options I wanted to check on.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any info or leads as well as other sight options would be appreciated.

What about a good old Lyman 48M? I don't know if all MkX actions are drilled for peep sight mounting, but the Charles Daly Zastava actions I recently bought are.

(not my rifle)

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If you decide to use an old Lyman, use the 48 or 57 FN, not the M. The M will work but you will have a gap between the top of the bridge and the block. Mark Xs are drilled on the side, same as the FN, same contour and spacing.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know.

Perhaps you could also answer this for me. My actions are the left handed ones and I need a peep for mounting on the bolt side, ie. left side of the action. I was considering trying to mount a 48WJS. Any idea whether that would work?

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through these gyrations a while back and found these to be a great solution. Roger Biesen made them for me and they are custom so they could be made for a lefty without issues. They have the Redfield flip up peep on the rear of the rear base and a single lever to remove the scope. There is a picture at the bottom of the page linked here:

biesen scope mounts

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Several good leads and options. Thanks. I have a Williams rear on a 358Norma. Allows me a 100-150yd range. I haven't found a clean way to mount a scope and clear the sight without having the scope WAY up in the air.

Stu I can't say about the Lyman but looking at my Williams this morning sure looks like it could be mounted on the left side. You would need to take the top apart and turn it around but looks to me like it would work.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave Talley makes a pop up peep in his rear base.

Well I received a reply from the dealer listed on the Talley site. Concerned me just a little when I was asked if the MKX was a larger ring or small. When I replied it was a large ring commercial action the follow up was what is the spacing. So after supplying the spacing I was told they could do it takes about 10 days.

Major surprise that anything was answered on Sunday morning.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Brockman makes the pop up peep on Talley bases. I didn't know Dave was making a pop up peep. If he is then it's a pretty recent thing.

He has always made a neat slide on peep that slips on his rear scope base and has windage and elevation is had by filing a .500 NECG gold faced partridge sight down to zero.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ray the gentleman I was emailing with was named Marshall Talbott at talleyscoperings.com

Thanks for the mention of Brockman. That is the sight I remember seeing for only the Win 70. The sight on the Talley page is $69 so it sounds more like a replacement like the NEC. I think I need further discussions with Mr Talbott to insure we are on the same page.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The easiest IMHO is to get the XS ghost ring sight which is integral to a weaver base.

Ringe heights of course vary but I was able to mount a leupy 2.5 to 8 in medium rings.

Of course my application is not on and off with a scope. it is simply as back up sights if the scope is damaged.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well after getting some followup from Talley this is the sight they have available. It is adjustable for windage only and must be placed on the base after the scope is removed.

I was hoping it was this Brockman style.

Now checking with Ghost Sights to see what their option are for the MKX.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Tom can, or I can, make you whatever bases you may desire!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Was prowling thru some old mounts and bases and found an old Redfield Jr base marked 70jr so I suppose its for a Model 70. It's a bridge type base with 1 rear screw. What's unusual about it is it has a fold down peep on the rear of the base. The peep is attached to rear of base with 2 screws and has elevation adjustment also. The leaf folds to the rear, is spring loaded and clears any scope. Very good backup sight. Have no idea where I got it but do remember when they were in production. I never used Redfield I always used Buehler.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote