New
Find
Notify
Tools

What barrel length 250-3000?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Shilen #2 contour barrel in the lathe. It will be screwed on a small ring mauser. What length would look best? I think all of the lengths will shoot fine. 22"-23"- or 24"?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5, 3 with 24", 2 with 22". With iron sights i like22", plain barrel i like 24". Either way they are fine shooters if you have a 1:10 twist rather than a 1:14-1:14 twist of the original guns.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'm leaning toward the 22" length and mine is a 10" twist.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just sawed it off at 22". I will crown it and quit for the day.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
20 to 22 inches screams for a small ring action.

For me it would be 18 or 20 inches for a Manlicher rifle and 22 inches for a rifle.

I love the caliber and as far as killing power goes any barrel length works great..

The little 250 isn't a hotrod and its kind to bullets thus it kills way out of porportion to its balistics.

I would use a 1x10 twist..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha - you won't go wrong with 22, my Mauser Kurz that I recently rebarreled was 20 but I felt was a bit too short as a "rifle".

The new barrel is profiled off another 250-3000 Kurz I have (original with open sights only) , is 21 3/4" and very slim, but it handles and balances like a dream.

When you stock it just hollow out the buttstock until you get it balanced at the front reciever screw - adjust it again after its wearing its final scope.

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will need to find some brass. This is all I have at this time.

Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch
I have two 250-3000 and one 250AI. I would never sell any of them. All the pictures of my kids hunting when they first started out have one of these rifles in the picture. I gave the 250AI to my daughter and she loves it.
Mike

Posts: 66 | Location: Huntsville, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
How is your new long range shooting range going. Looks like you have a first class place.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Butch
Range is up and running. Have 15 benches now, will decide after this spring if I am going to add any more. We will be having the East Texas Championship 400 yd clay bird match next May and the NBRSA 600 yd State Championship in June. Hope to throw in a few matches before then. I dont have the time or help to do very many matches a year.
Mike

Posts: 66 | Location: Huntsville, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote