THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buggered Screw - Time to Call a Professional?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't blame you for being careful, Charles. That's a nice rifle. You're right to take your time and do no damage. We are all just trying to help.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate the help....but any suggestion that requires $10,000 of equipment or delicate professional skills is out of my reach.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you get it out without damage.

Ted: I've done a whole lot of TIG and MIG welding
but, I've never seen that trick til
now. You've got to be one of those
guys that can weld both sides of an
L filet on the bottom of an aluminum pie pan.

I had a welding instructor trying to teach us
how to do that. He could easy, no one else
ever did that I saw. We all blew holes in the pans.

Show us how it's done!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6007 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Charles,

The layers of alum. foil would protect your rifle and the bottom part of the screw from scuffing or weld. But, we all have our comfort zones.
No worries. Keep us posted.

quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I do appreciate the help....but any suggestion that requires $10,000 of equipment or delicate professional skills is out of my reach.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Thanks again for all the help....spent $$$$$ on new tools to save $ on gunsmithing, but if I had to ship it I would end up spending more...and now I have to see if the rear Talley base I bought will clear the charging hump cause the one on it was radiused....

And seriously I am very appreciative of all the advice.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Success!!

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks again for all the help....spent $$$$$ on new tools

Can a man have to many tools?

Posts: 19580 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice work Charles. I need to get one of those vise grips. Lots of gripping grooves on that one. Did you get it out on the first try?

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
It turned as soon as I was able to get the vise grips tight. Took a while, and I switched to a smaller pair. There was a lot of loctite powder in the screw hole....

And I do like having the tools, but I need to make some space...

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to get one of those vise grips. Lots of gripping grooves on that one.

I will add that I picked up four new vise grips on this venture, several of the needle nose variety which is pictured above. They come in a number of sizes. Started with a medium one and when it started coming out I switched to the smaller one pictured.

let's see, new tools for just this:

2 sets of driver bits (for butterfly bits which did no good but looked like what was left of the screw)
left-handed drill bits (first one snapped, second would not bite)
Small cordless Dremel (cut a new groove that I got 1/8 turn out of before the screw stopped again, also used to try to remove the base without the screw but was too much chance of hitting the action, also used to grind down a screw driver to try to better fit the buggered screw)
Dremel attachment set
Hair Dryer (cause it would be here before the heat gun)
heat gun
4 vise grips

Ended up using my drill and a regular bit to remove the screw head, and the heat gun and vise grips to take the stub out...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I need to get one of those vise grips. Lots of gripping grooves on that one.

I will add that I picked up four new vise grips on this venture, several of the needle nose variety which is pictured above. They come in a number of sizes. Started with a medium one and when it started coming out I switched to the smaller one pictured.

let's see, new tools for just this:

2 sets of driver bits (for butterfly bits which did no good but looked like what was left of the screw)
left-handed drill bits (first one snapped, second would not bite)
Small cordless Dremel (cut a new groove that I got 1/8 turn out of before the screw stopped again, also used to try to remove the base without the screw but was too much chance of hitting the action, also used to grind down a screw driver to try to better fit the buggered screw)
Dremel attachment set
Hair Dryer (cause it would be here before the heat gun)
heat gun
4 vise grips

Ended up using my drill and a regular bit to remove the screw head, and the heat gun and vise grips to take the stub out...

You gotta admit, the guy's got determination

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

or stupid levels of stubborn....

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Persistence is a virtue. I vote thumbs on this fellow. He had a problem and now he doesn’t.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em Chuck. You persevered & won! Don't short-change yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

or stupid levels of stubborn....

I have to commend you for working within what you have available and the skills you have to get it done. We all start somewhere, and that's how you learn.

It's painful to see threads like this, because I could have had the screw out in 15 minutes with my shop and tooling. But, I remember when I didn't even have a torch and a good fitting screwdriver, and tried to take out a stuck screw. And, I remember learning to use the drill press and later the mill and a hex bit and down pressure to remove them. And how heat works to get them going. And how to tap on them to loosen. And, remember learning to drill the top of the head off. And left handed drill bits. And, how to drill out the screw precisely and pick out the threads. And, how to weld a nut onto a threaded stub to get a way to turn it out.

None of us started out having the tools and knowing how to do those things, although now they're quick and easy ways to approach the problem.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Hope you get it out without damage.

Ted: I've done a whole lot of TIG and MIG welding
but, I've never seen that trick til
now. You've got to be one of those
guys that can weld both sides of an
L filet on the bottom of an aluminum pie pan.

I had a welding instructor trying to teach us
how to do that. He could easy, no one else
ever did that I saw. We all blew holes in the pans.

Show us how it's done!

George

I use the weld a "T" on just about every broken bolt brought into the shop. If that doesn't work I weld up a post and drop a nut over the post the fuse the two together.

Only if those fail do I drill or use an extractor

Worst case scenario I have to EDM it out if all else fails

Next time I remove a screw using the "T" method I'll be sure and make a post here

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The seas were rough, but you brought the ship home.