New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who built the actions for the Parker Hale rifles? I know it's a commercial 98, but it seems a little different than the FN's i've seen. Just picked up one in 22-250 for 300.00 and its in great shape. Schnabel forend and nice stock geometry. Woods nothing fancy but very servicable.
Thanks
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least some were Interarms Mark Xs.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
PH used Santa Barbara (Spanish) actions. At least my PH looks identical to my SB. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
parker hales are santa barbaras.. but they LOOK like markXs.

softer than a markx.. not worth but 70% in my book.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38653 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think the hussars were BRNO

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some were Santa Barbaras, some Mark Xs and some FNs. These were the model 1200 and maybe the model 1100 (?). There was also a model 81 which was chambered in calibres such as .375 H&H, .404 and .458 Win Mag. I had the loan of a .404 for a while but sadly let it go back to its owner.

Also one model was soft crap, made from ex-military rifles, perhaps the model 1000 ?

That might be what Jeffe is getting confused with ???

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Parker Hale about 25 years ago. Didn't know what the problem was at first. The lugs were set back on a 30-06. I wasn't impressed with the one I had and have never bought another. I'm sure there are plenty of good one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parker hale mostly Santa Barbara action. It will have a "spain" stamp on the side of the rear tang. They look nice, and C ring, looks like a FN except the bolt handle is different

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Parker Hale started making rifles they used military 98 actions. These early rifles were model 1000C. The C stood for a detachable clip magazine.They also made a hindged floorplate version.These actions have the charger thumb slot on the left side of the action. As their supply of military actions started to run out they attempted to get actions from several sources. They did use a Brno action for a short time. This action is a flat-topped mauser with groves that accomodated the P-H rings. This action also had the Brno rotating safety on the back of bolt. These actions were stamped Parker Hale and had " Hussar" stamped on the left side of the action. I have seen a number of these rifles in 7x57,270 & 30-06. There are also a few made in some short mag calibres. I have one in a 308 Norma. They may well have obtained some actions from FN or Mark X's although I have never seen one. They then started to use the Santa Barbra actions. This action does not have the charger thumb slot and has a rocker type safety on the right side of the action. The new Santa Barbra actions were used in the new model 1200 C and 1200 super models. The super having a hindged floorplate. Both these rifles came with a light walnut stock with contrasting pistol grip cap and forend tip.These stocks were supplied by Sile. There was also a model 1100 with a hindged floorplate and a more classic style walnut stock. PH also produced an African model which used the military actions and the military type safety. They were availble in 375 H&H, 404 and 458. The 375 & 458 were much more common.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a P.M..Snowman... Wink

Posts: 5769 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
When Parker Hale started making rifles they used military 98 actions. These early rifles were model 1000C. The C stood for a detachable clip magazine.They also made a hindged floorplate version.These actions have the charger thumb slot on the left side of the action. As their supply of military actions started to run out they attempted to get actions from several sources.

Were the military actions Springfields? I don't remember however.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parker Hale actually started out sporterizing Lee Enfield #1 MkIII's and # 4 MKIs then they went to the military 98 actions...... The Springfield actions were sporterized much later and sold as the Midland 2100 rifle.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
... The Springfield actions were sporterized much later and sold as the Midland 2100 rifle.

Ah that's the one I was thinking about. It had a repuation down here as being a soft action.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Those midlands were a real piece of work, Seems like it was a commercial hybid mauser/springfield reciever with a springfield bolt or something like that.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'm in trouble now.

My boss--Trinidad Class of '58--has discovered the forum, and will be looking over my shoulder.

No more outlandish opinions from flaco.

No more baiting of fellow members.

No more pissing contests.

Anyway, I stand corrected.

Parker Hale matched their own investment cast receivers with milsurp bolts.

Both Mauser and Springfield.

flaco

N.B. I sure hope I got this right, or there will be hell to pay when I show up at work. LOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And... IIRC, I believe he mentioned La Coruna. Which I take to be the Santa Barbara Mausers.

I'm certain I'll let you know when he corrects me once again.

LOL.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELP need the bolt release and ejector for the Parker Hale Midland action. Any odd suggestions I have checked all of the usual sources. Thanks Elmer.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
snowman: They did use a Brno action for a short time. This action is a flat-topped mauser with groves that accomodated the P-H rings. This action also had the Brno rotating safety on the back of bolt. These actions were stamped Parker Hale and had " Hussar" stamped on the left side of the action.

Hussars were made with Brno ZG47 actions, perhaps a few hundred. I have also seen two Parker Hales built on military Mausers marked Hussar. I bought this one for a 9.3x62 or 404 project, someday.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I picked up a Parker Hale about 25 years ago. Didn't know what the problem was at first. The lugs were set back on a 30-06. I wasn't impressed with the one I had and have never bought another. I'm sure there are plenty of good one.

so, short answer... know one really can tell us, and i, myself, dont' buy them.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38653 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks as always guys. Mine shoots great and feels good while handling. I'll try to post pics.
Mike Allred

Mike Allred

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote