New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken Tap Removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have experience cutting a HSS tap out of a hole? I have a SS Ruger coming into the shop with a broken 6-40 tap below the surface. No EDM shops close by. I seem to remember doing one quite a few years back and I think used a 4 flute carbide with some form of nitride coating. ALTiN? Speerchucker?

Side question, are Vaquero SS guns as miserable to D&T as SS Mini 14's?
The memory is the second thing that goes, cant remember the first.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like with all the stuff on the internet there should somewhere be a plan for a handheld EDM tool.

I got one hole on a stainless Mini-14 receiver drilled and tapped to tie down a scope mount whose rear was clamped to the ears that previously held the peep sight. The gunsmith told me he wore out two carbide taps and would never do another one. Subsequently, I discovered that the scope mount wasn't the only factor in the biggish 100-yard groups. Oh well...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14459 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kendog:
Anyone have experience cutting a HSS tap out of a hole? I have a SS Ruger coming into the shop with a broken 6-48 tap below the surface. No EDM shops close by. I seem to remember doing one quite a few years back and I think used a 4 flute carbide with some form of nitride coating. ALTiN? Speerchucker?

Side question, are Vaquero SS guns as miserable to D&T as SS Mini 14's?
The memory is the second thing that goes, cant remember the first.

Thanks

Just remember...the last guy to touch it gets all the blame

Posts: 3516 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R)Just remember...the last guy to touch it gets all the blame

Yep. I'm clean on this one. Have pictures and emails from the original effer upper. He freely admits it. That's the only reason he gets standard pricing, and not double. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, knock on wood, I've been successful with solid carbide end mills. Yes I have broken some, but no in the hole. If I hadn't been given a handfull of them, it could have been costly.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a broken tap removal kit sold by a machining tooling company. They are out there.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
I have a broken tap removal kit sold by a machining tooling company. They are out there.

Thanks. It has been my experience that, when those kits are used on smaller taps (this one is 6-40) one winds up with the tap and the kit stuck in the hole!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks. It has been my experience that, when those kits are used on smaller taps (this one is 6-48) one winds up with the tap and and the kit stuck in the hole!

Yup!!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Seems like with all the stuff on the internet there should somewhere be a plan for a handheld EDM tool.

Funny.......but no

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
I have had some luck in the past using carbide jewelry burs in a high speed tool; the small ones will reach down and trim the flutes off off the tap pretty well. Generaly takes three or four burs to get it. Real deep it might be hard to get to; I was only working a 1/4 inch deep.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone had luck freezing the broken tap and shattering with a punch?

Posts: 3716 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If it’s a blind hole a carbide tap remover is best I know of. If hole goes through I’ve hammered the broken tap through using a punch, then open hole up to next size and tap again.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

No

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:

not even with dry ice ...

Butch discussed my preferred way ... carbide/tin coated undersized endmill .. flood cooling, to keep the chips from causing more of a mess, and grind it out .. since a cnc is REALLY patient on pecking and light cuts, it usually works

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38649 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used diamond tip dental burs to remove broken taps. Check with a local dentist and he will probably have a few he will parts with. A high speed grinder with cut them out.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.riogrande.com/prod...und-bur-2-1mm/343136

Run them fast and wet with a light touch.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a couple of the best gun smiths I know shatter them with a hammer and a punch..scariest thing Ive ever seen but it worked in every case without damage to the hole or its threads..YOu have really hit them hard to crack them up, but one blow did it..How they can do it is beyond me and I would never try it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really try not to break taps but it does happen. As Ray said, Hammer and punch does the job.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually Ted, yes they are made but I am not spending 1800$ on the machine to do it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDM-M...2:g:dZAAAOSwVzRau2RF

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the alloy, or how corrosion resistant the SS really is, you might be able to dissolve it with acid. I know it works great to get broken taps out of titanium.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think I am going to go with coated carbide end mills. Did it before and had success.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
JPL

Genius! That's right the OP gun is stainless steel. One drop of Nitric acid would eat that steel tap right out of there without affecting the stainless steel. Common and cheap 14K gold test acid would work. Just test it with a drop and make sure it isn't bubbling on the SS.

BUT, the vapors are toxic as hell and the acid also eats skin slowly. Wear safety glasses & chemical proof gloves and do it in a breezy area with plenty of ventilation. It will cook green and smoke yellow and possibly even splash a tiny amount. Keep anything and everything away. Get ready to flush with clear water. Nitric doesn't affect pure stainless steel except for some cheapo Made in Asia stuff that is slightly magnetic.

quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Depending on the alloy, or how corrosion resistant the SS really is, you might be able to dissolve it with acid. I know it works great to get broken taps out of titanium.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Go to your dentist and get some dental burs then put in a Dremil tool and cut the tap out.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I broke an 8-32 tap in a stainless Ruger M77. I have tapped a few blued ones no problem but this is the second stainless one I have attempted and the first one did the same.
As the tap tip was already sticking down into the bolt raceway I gave it a tap with a steel punch and it popped right out the bottom !
And left enough remaining threads to run a screw in.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I broke an 8-32 tap in a stainless Ruger M77. I have tapped a few blued ones no problem but this is the second stainless one I have attempted and the first one did the same.
As the tap tip was already sticking down into the bolt raceway I gave it a tap with a steel punch and it popped right out the bottom !
And left enough remaining threads to run a screw in.

Thanks. This one is a trigger guard screw in a blind hole. Cutters should be here today. Let the fun begin...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
quote:

Thanks. It has been my experience that, when those kits are used on smaller taps (this one is 6-48) one winds up with the tap and and the kit stuck in the hole!

Yup!!

I'll second that opinion!!!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If any of the tap is sticking out above the whole then a punch ground flat like a chisel can be used to "un-screw" the tap sometimes. I have actually had pretty good luck driving them out this way. Does not always work but very easy to try. Works better on bigger taps too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it pays to walk where no man has walked before!!! dancing and a bigger hammer has solved many problems.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the Butch method. Pecked it out with a 7/64ths 4 flute AlTin cutter. Rigid setup is paramount! Cleaned up the hole with a two flute gun tap. Done!
Ruger Vaquero is nowhere near the heartache of a Mini 14 when tapping. Moly D is good juju for tapping.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thick formula Buterfield is the best I've ever used and I'd wager I've tapped a few holes

The key to never breaking a tap is in the size of the tap handle

Use the absolute smallest handle you can and years if not decades will go by without carbide or burning a tap out

The perfect tap handle for small tapping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
So far, knock on wood, I've been successful with solid carbide end mills. Yes I have broken some, but no in the hole. If I hadn't been given a handfull of them, it could have been costly.

Dirt cheep cutters on ebay. Knew I would trash a few, but that is in the cost of the job. Used up 2 at $4 each. Went fairly smooth, but the pucker factor was a little elevated. Pulled a bunch of cotton right out of my shorts! Any rate, customer has his gun back in working condition with strict instructions to quit fixing it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
I have used diamond tip dental burs to remove broken taps. Check with a local dentist and he will probably have a few he will parts with. A high speed grinder with cut them out.
Les, thanks for reminding me of this. My late father left me his dental burrs. After your comment I used a dental burr to remove a broken easeout broken off in a broken screw. Mike

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote