New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarreling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would i have to do to my .270win other than rebarrel it to convert it into a .270WBY Mag? Any info would help, i already have the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt face would have to be opened up.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, i thought i had to get a new bolt face. Would a regular gunsmith be able to do this for me?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most Weatherby calibers clean up their 'standard' counterparts.

I believe this is the case with the 270 Wby. and so you would not need a new barrel, and at the worst, it would only need to be set back a thread.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are converting a 270 Win. to a 270 Wby. Mag. you should start with a new barrel. The pilot on the reamer, of the 270 Wby., will not be able to reach the bore when inserted in the 270 Win. chamber.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Eddie,
nor would it matter any more than when doing any of the ackley improved rounds, as the reamer will run as true as the barrel runout, and the bits that it cuts before the pilot engages will be cut out again as you headspace the chamber.

then again, i wouldn't bother going to 270webby over 270 win... i would just sell the 270 and get a 300 or a 7 mag something

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason im doing this is because my .270 win is not delivering the accuracy i would like and i was able to buy a Shilen .270WBY mag barrel for 40 dollars. So i am saving quite a bit of money and gaining a very good barrel. Also i have small calibers and 300 RUM, so i need to have something in between, i think. Anyway, thats my reasoning for rebarreling my .270 win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all you need is a boltface dia change and some action squaring and you are off and running. That is of course as long as the barrel shank is the right size.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Eddie,
nor would it matter any more than when doing any of the ackley improved rounds, as the reamer will run as true as the barrel runout, and the bits that it cuts before the pilot engages will be cut out again as you headspace the chamber.
jeffe

Boy, I don't know........ I'm with Eddie on this one. The .270 Wby is .492" at the shoulder... .020" larger than the rear of the .270 Win's chamber at its largest point. You would cut un-piloted with the radiused shoulder flutes doing the leading (and cutting) and that reamer would go where it wanted. Not like doing Ack.Imp. where the reamer enters the chamber some and will probably cut straight if the original chamber was cut that way.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys barrel is not accurate, he is replacing it , the bolt face information is right, the rest ???.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote