New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum Frame with Rigby Floorplate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We've developed a kind of unique product for custom rifles. This is a Magnum frame with Rigby (coffin) floorplate for up to 505 Gibbs. About as streamlined as a brick, but kinda grows on you.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys need to come up with something for the CZ 550 since no one else is.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
You guys need to come up with something for the CZ 550 since no one else is.

I'm not a big fan of the 550, but I would think that custom bottom metal would sell like wildfire.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what duane has above would change the appearance of a 550 significantly. lon paul i believe has done some work where he has created bottom metal for a 550 or so it appears on his site. wisner has done some but i called the other day and he has no plan to make any at this point.

i think the 550 lends itself to a lot of customization.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisner still has his pocket plates (+1 round) listed on his webpage for the CZ 550s but they need a lot of fitting. Duane's look like a better design though and I personally like the look, it didn't need to grow on me.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i saw them on wisner's but he says they have none in stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great! I have the original (not dropped) and it makes a great pallet for an engraver. Once again, a quality product from CGRS! Thanks Duane!!!

Jim

Posts: 1208 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We do have a prototype made for the 550. We will offer a Rigby style (coffin) floorplate..no estimate...the list is endless...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a one piece trigger guard/magazine box/floor plate assembly,cartridge specific for at least three or four of the most popular cartridges-458 lott and 458wm,375H&H,416 Rigby?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
What does it fit? Win 70? Doesn't appear to be a drop box?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ trigger guard assembly alone is one of the strong points of the CZ,IMO.It may be as good as it gets and I don't see how it can be improved on.I don't think a simple latch is reason enough to buy a custom made one.The CZ does not need a replacemene bottom metal or trigger guard but a one piec trigger guard/MAGAZINE assembly.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The CZ trigger guard assembly alone is one of the strong points of the CZ,IMO.It may be as good as it gets and I don't see how it can be improved on.I don't think a simple latch is reason enough to buy a custom made one.The CZ does not need a replacemene bottom metal or trigger guard but a one piec trigger guard/MAGAZINE assembly.

george,
you just said its ad good as it gets, you can't see how it can be improved, and THEN say how you think it can be improved ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Nice work Duane, it does look rather brickish. If you can make it streamlined you would be a magician.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
george,
you just said its ad good as it gets, you can't see how it can be improved, and THEN say how you think it can be improved ...

I think Shootaway must argue with himself a lot!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I said the trigger guard and bottom metal can't be improved,but you could turn it into a one piece trigger guard/bottom metal and magazine assembly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I said the trigger guard and bottom metal can't be improved,but you could turn it into a one piece trigger guard/bottom metal and magazine assembly.

You could, but if it can't be improved upon then this would be a waste of time, right?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you add on a magazine,you are NOT changing the trigger guard/bottom metal and therefore not improving it.I thought you people would be a little more quick. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you add a magazine to the "trigger guard assembly" and make it one piece?

One piece generally means machined out of a solid block, like the Mauser, not attached later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be very happy with just an extended floor plate for mine. I have a Wisner for my Rigby, but it does need a bit of fussing to make it work properly. Great blank canvas for some artwork, though.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that simply putting on a coffin floorplate leaves no room to disengage the floorplate latch.

I's something like a M-70...WAY! up against the top of the trigger guard...gotta have room for even the social finger to reach the release.......No! The release must be inside the guard if the floorplate is to extend much below ...which a coffin style just has to do.

Therefore, our prototype is made with the above design contstraints....and it looks plum swell!!

We have opted not to make a one piece magazine box and frame (ala Mauser) at this time. Talk is cheap, but when it comes to.."OK..we got 'em...Nobody's around!

Been down that road with the wide tang Mexican (replacement for use on a military stock, semi inlet...etc etc. Made a bunch in response to demand...sold one!)

Not really bitching, but I'm not in the business making one off's either...give me a purchase order for 30 parts of your dreams...I'll pay attenion

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you got me for two, Duane. only 28 more to go for a CZ bottom metal unit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of Mr. Wiebe's Enfield units on its way to me. I would interested in a CZ 550 unit. If the idea comes to life I would tale one if it could make my 3 down .505 a 4 down. The CZ .505 hold 3 but it is tight. Any coffin plate would have to add a good amount of space to fit an extra round.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do any of you know what action a "magnum frame with a Rigby floorplate" fits????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommyhawk:
Do any of you know what action a "magnum frame with a Rigby floorplate" fits????

This particular frame is for the Enfield

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
I am guessing it will look something like this one. Brickish for sure but I guess it could grow on you.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks won't matter when you need an extra round!

Jim

Posts: 1208 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the way it looks. If only I had the money to convert my enfield to 505 gibbs. mmmm....

you know, it's really irritating sometimes when you see things like this and think how much better the money you spend on house payment sand car payments and preschool could be spent. Mad

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's really irritating sometimes when you see things like this and think how much better the money you spend on house payment

Hell, just stop paying for two months and your president will pick up the tab, he has alot of money........of ours.