THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who was it who was offering free checkering??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I remember post a while back from a gentleman who was offering to checker stocks for free or very little money. Could someone point me in his direction?? Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A year or so ago Bill Soverns was offering a simple 4-panel checkering job for $85 plus shipping. I think that offer has expired but you can check with him. Bill Soverns

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's $85 per panel.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite a while back, there was someone who was just getting into customizing and checkering gun stocks and handgun panels.

He was actually looking for people to volunteer their stocks or panels to practice on.

The work would be free, I don't know about the postage.

I can't remember who it was, but it was a while back.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Soverns was charging 85 bucks, not per panel.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, You should contact him and tell him his price list is wrong.
Stand alone checkering- 22pi only- $85/ panel
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Morning Hawkins
like in real estate, where location is everything, in a post, context is everything.

Bill's CURRENT prices aren't the question, as we all knew, and he posted, that the $85 was a temporary thing.

Bill indeed was offering a nice $85 total checkering job, which several members took advantage of
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=search...Type=1&search=Search

Does Bill get $85 a panel these days? couldn't tell you, but his work is worth at least that much.

Did he offer, in the past, an $85 job? yep

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hawkins,

i think jeffeosso is refering to a special deal bill had about a year and a half ago. bill would checker a stock with a 4 panel point pattern for 85 plus shipping. i had him do several for me and other clients.

max

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Soverns was charging 85 bucks, not per panel.

That was a long time ago, since then he has been accepted into the ACGG. And, as Jeff said, it was a one time special.

Websites are often the last thing to get updated by a smith. Especially a busy one. Call or email him.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't that work out to $3 per hour? Confused

A good checkering job is worth at least $400, if not much more.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a low priced checkering job you cannot do much better than Ahlman's. They also do barreling and other gunwork for reasonable prices.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
My price list is correct. I did offer a complete $85 job at one time but in the end there is just no money in it.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
$85 would just cover the aspirin and Yukon Jack to recover from doing checkering, for me.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudude:
I remember post a while back from a gentleman who was offering to checker stocks for free or very little money. Could someone point me in his direction?? Kudude

I'll do it for you for free.

I'm not even qualified to peel a carrot, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by kudude:

I'm not even qualified to peel a carrot, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

clap Good one, Forrest.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's funny... what the hell is in the water in Houston these days!

And I have an example of Bill Sovern's checkering in my gun safe... it's worth $85/panel. Wink

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote