New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua Mag. in a Yugo Mauser action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, a local gunsmith that makes some custom works, says that he's making such a rifle; I have some doubts about the feasibility. What is your opinion? Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
since the lapua is baically the 416 rigby brass.. .and most people think the 416 rigby doesn't fit into mauser 98s unless done by a highly skilled smith, i would say no

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My first thoughts are the same as yours.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The .338 Lapua is somewhat shorter than the Rigby but, depending on bullet length and seating depth. it's still a long cartridge. Regardless, it's still as fat as a Rigby and my opinion is that you've got to remove too much metal to make it safe or practical.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
since the lapua is baically the 416 rigby brass.. .and most people think the 416 rigby doesn't fit into mauser 98s unless done by a highly skilled smith, i would say no

jeffe

Elaborate?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rick,
the number of 416 rigbies done on mausers is rather small.. in fat, they are notably by their scarcity. the round it too fat and too long for the geometery to work for most smiths, and the amount of metal to be be removed is very chancy

with the lapua being so close to the rigby, with even less taper, therefore more metal in the front, is removed.

It's both a question of length (that can be overcome, to a point) and width.. that can't really be done eaily.. the difference between perfect and ruined action is amazingly thin.

When combined, you run into trouble, and sure it CAN be done, but the smiths that can do it are VERY rare, and the prices VERY high.

Now, if the guy wants to learn how to do it,
I don't know how many actions a smith would have to go through before getting it perfect, but my guess would be at least 10 or 15 before he finally made one that was both safe to shoot and feeds.

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Rick,
the number of 416 rigbies done on mausers is rather small.. in fat, they are notably by their scarcity. the round it too fat and too long for the geometery to work for most smiths, and the amount of metal to be be removed is very chancy

with the lapua being so close to the rigby, with even less taper, therefore more metal in the front, is removed.

It's both a question of length (that can be overcome, to a point) and width.. that can't really be done eaily.. the difference between perfect and ruined action is amazingly thin.

When combined, you run into trouble, and sure it CAN be done, but the smiths that can do it are VERY rare, and the prices VERY high.

Now, ifthe guy ants to learn how to do it,
I don't know how many actions a smith would have to go through before getting it perfect, but my guess would be at least 10 or 15 before he finally made one that was both safe to shoot and feeds.

jeffe

Thanks, that makes sense.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Yeah right.

He'll spend more on the first box of shells than he will buying the action!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO there are much better ways to get a 338 Lapua. I wouldn't shoot within 2 benches of a 338 Lapua built on a Yugo Mauser. The 416 Rigby is a low pressure round the 338 Lapua ain't. I don't think the Lapua would take very long to frag a std length converted Mauser.
Buy an action made for the Lapua.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,you could do it on a Yugo.But why not
use a VZ24.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 338/376 Steyr would work nicely Smiler

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4t1mag:
Yeah,you could do it on a Yugo.But why not
use a VZ24.

Some were vz24's, some were K98's, some were FN intermediates and others indigenous intermediates. I'd not attempt it on any.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah,you could do it on a Yugo.But why not use a VZ24.

Sir, the consensus here is that your average military Mauser of any maker simply is not big enough. And frankly, I agree with this. There are other action far better suited to a 338 Laupa.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
There has been quite a discussion of major magnums on surplus actions causing bolt setback (bolt lugs make indentations in their recesses in the reciever) Re-heat treating may help, but why spend big bucks on a $50 action??

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just say moe:
There has been quite a discussion of major magnums on surplus actions causing bolt setback (bolt lugs make indentations in their recesses in the reciever) Re-heat treating may help, but why spend big bucks on a $50 action??

Hi Moe, welcome to AR...

Have a look at this for what can be done to an mauser
http://www.weaponsmith.com/550-exp.html

Why spend bucks on a $50 action? Cuz it's FUN!!!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just say moe:

Yep, I worried about that with my P17 project in .470 Capstick but since I only plan on loading to match .470 Nitro loads I figure I should be ok.

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've seen a few cases where two mausers are cut ahead of the thumbcut, then the half from one is welded to the other. The result is one micro-mauser and one magnum mauser.

Of course, you do have to re-heat treat Wink

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claven2:
FWIW, I've seen a few cases where two mausers are cut ahead of the thumbcut, then the half from one is welded to the other. The result is one micro-mauser and one magnum mauser.

Yes, and honestly, that isn't such a great idea either. Few realize that the bolt gets awfully long and the normal end to end wobble is greatly exagerated when the bolt is fully retracted. Not conducive to the smoothest functioning.

Let the flames begin. stir

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by Claven2:

Yes, and honestly, that isn't such a great idea either. Few realize that the bolt gets awfully long and the normal end to end wobble is greatly exagerated when the bolt is fully retracted. Not conducive to the smoothest functioning.

Let the flames begin. stir

Not only that, but now day and times, not hardly cost effective unless you're doing your own work.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dropped off two VZ24 actions for shortening and lengthening this week, when I was there to pick up other welding.

The guy has to cut the:
1) reciever
2) bolt
3) firing pin
4) magazine
5) follower
6) bottom plate

He has to cut it twice in one of the actions.
That would be 18 cuts and 18 welds. I'll deal with the springs.

The intended rifles are:
1) 338Lapua
2) 6mmBR.

So one goes from ~ 3.25" to 4" and the other goes from ~3.25" to ~ 2.5", minus the 3 cut widths.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote