New
Find
Notify
Tools

mini mk x
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen a few mini customs with a wing safety, and I assume a different trigger.
Is the original shroud used for the safety conversion? Is there an after-market trigger for the mini mk x?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Standard M98 triggers work on the Mini Mauser. If you're using the same shroud with a trigger safety it's a simple switch. If you're fitting an aftermarket bolt shroud safety it get's more complicated. James Anderson did a write up about it some time ago.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still in the thinking stages on this ....
I thought maybe a simpler trigger, Dayton Traister or the like, and a model 70 style two position safety. Is that what the write up was on?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
back40

I have a couple of mini's on the shelf waiting for something.

Some resent comments

http://forums.accuratereloadin...871042702#5871042702

I thought James Anderson did a article on one of the gun mags about it. I don't believe he is still do the conversion.

I have been told the M70 style M98 shroud can be made to work. That would be far above my pay grade.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I'm still in the thinking stages on this ....
I thought maybe a simpler trigger, Dayton Traister or the like, and a model 70 style two position safety. Is that what the write up was on?

Yes and no, it was on the M70 style safety install. If you wanted to fit a different bolt shroud to the Mini I'm sure a lot of the steps would be same. It's the new bolt shroud that gets a little tricky, not the trigger. If I remember correctly he mentions something about cutting an extra thread and adding a shim to it but it's way past my ability to do or explain. Whistling

If you just want a different trigger the standard Timney and other brands M98 with the Remington style trigger safety fits. The mini and standard size actions use the same trigger.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys I started the conversion work on these actions back in the late 1980's. You can see the changes in the picture. The trigger guard loop was welded up and the lever fitted to release the floor plate on the original design. The 98 shroud converted by cutting the thread section to match the mini Mauser and a sleeve made for a press fit with a front shoulder on the sleeve to fit against the 98 shroud for about one turn of the spring which made a faster speed on firing. Bolt handle must be fitted to act as a third safety lug and the trigger is a Canjar single set with a little of the finger loop cut so the bottom would clear the reduced dimension on the thickness of the stock design. The Timney 98 featherweight trigger would be my choice on the next hunting rifle on one of these actions. I have an action which is the current design and I may plan to make it into a 20 Tach. in the future if I can get started on the metal work.

James Anderson was in TSJC in '92 and I explained how I made the conversions. He has made several fine mini Mauser rifles since that time.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Factory triggers work pretty well IMO, maybe with additional polishing.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry Stottlemyer did mine.

Mine is in 220 Russian (Beggs).

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote