THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can a mark X in 458 be opened to take the 458lott?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a mark X in 458 be opened to take the 458lott?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a line on a Whitworth in 458 win and would buy it if I can easily convert it to the Lott. Not to worried about magazine and follower work. Just need to know it the actions stroke is long enough to accept the Lott with moderate modifications.
Will the port need to be opened up and bolt stop altered. Not too big a problem but I certainly don’t want to have a 458 lott in the chamber followed by 458 win in the magazine. That would be sacrilege IMHO.
I need a stock for Jeffe anyway and this may be just the ticket to kill two birds with one rock.

Thanks, John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Whitworth was offered in 375 H&H as well, so there shouldn't be much of a problem. Might need a bit of rail work, but other than opening up the magazine, I don't think you will have any problems.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks that is what I suspected. Now I've got to do a bit of negotating to get the price down but in truth @ 850 bucks I can't go wrong. It's a true whitworth with it stambed and manchester england on the left side. Not a mark X interarms. Great starting points IMO.
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John,
i'll call you in a few...

the 458 win is a MUCH smaller box than the 375, and it's all cut from the front of the action on the 375. So it would be a box replacement/rebuild. then it would be neither fish nor fowl.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I've done this one before. You can mill out the front of the mag box and tig in a sheetmetal extension, thats how the factory did the .375. The feed rails will need some work and the ramp a bit too, after opening it up. A little judicious trimming of the bolt stop and attendant ejector mods.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I did it and should have the rifle in a week or so. I'll open up the mag and port if necessary and take care of the bolt stop. Worst case is I'll fabricate one of my single stack magazine boxes and that will solve all feeding and box issues. Make a floor plate and it should be ready to go. Of course I'll need to ream the chamber as well.

Jeffe, I'm going to send you the stock and you can use it for a template. I know you need a Whitworth stock profile and this will do that. I've got a bunch of wood that can make a new one for the rifle anyway. I'm not to keen with the high comb on this one anyway.

All in all a good deal. Now have a whitworth patern and will shortly have a decient hunting 458 lott.

I was getting ready to send you the 600 OK stock bt will hold off until this one gets here.

BTW I mailed you the $ for the stocks today Jeff. Thanks

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John,
Excellent!!
whitworth express stock pattern!!!!

BTW, goto the 550 express section on my web site, and click the two ugly pics on the top right of that page

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, That looks great and the price was right. Can you post a pict of a close up of the forearm checkering. Looks like a non standard rear border to it. I think I like it quie a bit. Does it wrap around the forearm? Either way it is really nicely done and fast to boot.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
John,
it's point on the front of the forearm, and curves on in the back side... the forearm wraps, the wrist NEARLY comes over the top.

Sorta like winchester featherweight meets CZ 550... not my idea of a perfect pattern, but I actually like it.

7 days turnaround!!!

jeffe

476AR,