Notify
Tools

Advice on Opening up an M17 Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

Here's a question for some of you guys in the know.

Ok so I've been opening up a Old Remington M17 action for a long case and bullet "600OK"

At the back of the magazine well on the M17 you have the section that hold the front of the trigger shear and a spring. I've opened the magazine right back to only 40 thou from this wall, but I need about another 80 thou

SO can I take the front of this shear spring cavity wall out or not ?

Also I notice the pin that centers the shear spring through this cavity does infact pop up into the action under the bolt.......WHY what does it do

thankyou in advance

If you need more info I will post a picture shortly

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner's work
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
You can find it here as well.

http://www.weaponsmith.com/ima...d/wisner/feeding.pdf

James Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff

I had a read he mentions, for GIBBS type conversion to plug up and weld this hole up, because he uses an aftermarket trigger. So what happens to the pin that comes up thru the spring, it pokes thru into the action and under the bolt, it must not be very important

Is that what you guys would do

Here's a picture of where I'm at at the momment, the milling is rough at this stage, I've been slowly doing it by hand, so don't Sh#tcan me for that yet it will get polished up.....the red line is about where I'd like to take it back to.

I've taken a bit off the bolt stop, so I have the room to go back further in the shear spring cavity instead of disrupting the front of the action, with is pretty undesireable

I did mill the front of this cavity off and left the hole open, there will be the wall of the new signal stack magazine box infront of the opening so I cant imagine the spring would work loose, it would still have room.

And the recoil pressure is on the front of the action lug and the barrel lug not on this section so I can't imagine it would be weaker.

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also I notice the pin that centers the shear spring through this cavity does infact pop up into the action under the bolt.......WHY what does it do

S&F, you will notice a corresponding notch in the bolt that this pin protrudes into when the bolt is fully closed. Therefore when the bolt is not fully closed, the trigger cant be pulled.

This was an idea taken from the 93 mauser which also has this feature.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gawd, you been using a rat to chew that out with stir.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paz,
Should see all the metal on the floor of his shop!

We may have solved the issue anyway ... slotted in an aftermarket trigger from my range-rifle 15 minutes ago. The aftermarket triggers seem to come with a metal plug that fits in the hole (I tried to charge him $100 for the metal plug Big Grin ). A spot weld now to hold it in place and he'll be able to grind away to his hearts content!

Off to the school technology department to find him some scrap mild steel plate to fabricate a box from. hilbily
Cheers...
Con
PS: Paz ... when you come down to shoot the black beast ... try and remember it has a target trigger with no creep or stages. animal

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
16 ga steel, gents

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
16 ga steel, gents

What's a shotgun got to do with this? clap

Delivered some steel for S&F to play with ... 50mm wide, 3mm thickness and long enough to make two boxes ... just in case!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would thet be 2-3/4' or 3" magnum,inquiring minds want to know.