New
Find
Notify
Tools

REMINGTON 458 WIN MAG
 Login/Join

<buford1>
posted
I purchased a REM MDL 700 BDL left handed rifle.In 458 WIN MAG The reason I bought it was the price was right. Cant get a accurate apraisel of rifle took it to the remington dealer they told me it was custom built rifle. Had either a douglas or kriegoff barrel but couldnt tell me more unless they disassembled the rifle. No way, they did say, who ever did it, did a excellent job. How can I find a fair market value of this gun. The stock is georgeous.It shames my WBYS mark 5 deluxes. 3 mounths after I bought it I found a pre 64 WIN super grade 458 WIN so I have no use for the left handed rifle. I look like a monkey playing with a foot ball trying to shoot it.

[ 11-28-2002, 13:59: Message edited by: buford1 ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look in "The Blue Book" of gun values. I have a 700 BDL 458 win mag custom shop factory rifle for sale with gorgeous wood, all original and unfired for $1025, but it is not going away so I guess it is priced too high. Any offers?

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buford,

No offense, but LH push-feed .458s are not very desirable. Righties can't use them, most lefties don't need a .458, and most lefties who need a .458 will build one on a lefthand M-70 or M-77 CRF action.

You can go one of two ways:
1) find a 700 take-off .338Win.Mag., re-barrel and sell the gun for $600; or,
2) sell the gun for a bit more than what a used factory BDL sells for.

Sorry for the bad news.
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always need another left-hand big bore. How much money do ya'll need for your left-hand Remington 700 458 ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I would convert the rifle to .458 Lott, and then sell it.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buford,

Check the barrel. If it has all the Remington rollmarks, it may or may not be a Custom Shop gun. You may be able to check its origin with Remington.

If it doesn't have Remington rollmarks, it was re-barreled after purchase.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it does not make it controlled feed, will the Sako extractor replacement improve the situation for using a Remington 700 as a DGR ?

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote