New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Socom or .50 Beowolf?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been thinking about his for a while but an article in the current Shooting Times has kicked me over the edge. I'm going to get an upper assembly or a whole rifle for one or the other. After a bit of reading, I'm leaning towards the .458, mostly for the vastly larger bullet selection available, and the attendant possiblity of reducing the recoil levels for some loads. Anyone have any hands on experience with either one, especially as it relates to accuracy and reliability. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SOCOM..
1: a texas boy invented it
2: I've shoot tiggertate's a bit, both semia nd bolt gun versions... very nice
3: better bullets, and "normal" bullets.. which means you can shoot, A BUNCH

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, teppo jutsu has licensed Rock River Arms to produce a ".458 socom for the masses". Go to RRA web site and it says ".458 Socom" "New for 2006"........sooooooooo.......I had my dealer call them up......(quotes from RR arms guy) "earliest" delivery will be "at least 3 months out"......well, that doesn't make it new for 2006, does it?

Sooo.....go to teppo jutsu's site and they say www.458socom.com is their current distributor for remaining in house built tops. So....they are out of 16 inchers (this is not necessarily a bad thing.....but it would be short and handy in the pig wars) and the 20 inchers cost $845.....which is about $150 bucks less than I can get a whole rifle from RRA if they ever get around to making them and $175 more than I can buy a .50 Beowolf upper from Cabela's. Decisions, decisions. I do like that the TJ barrels are from Lothar Walther tho.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
"earliest" delivery will be "at least 3 months out"......

They are running that long for their 223s as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'll have to chime in for the Beowulf. My 16" Alexander Arms upper is very accurate, a decent choice of bullets for handloading though not nearly as many as the .458. I've settled on 325 gr. Speer HP's and 400 gr. SP's for mine.

Look at ar15.com also, in the ar community they have a section that covers the comparison between the two pretty well, although they lean toward the Socom.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod:

I'm always glad to hear of a business doing well, and Red River Arms may well be 3 months behind in their .223 deliveries, but they told my gun dealer that they had not made ANY .458s yet. This seems to be common in the gun industry, hyping a new product long before you get it out the door.

browningguy:

Thanks for the advice. I have read that thread on AR15.com and it doesn't really clarify the situation, to say the least. What levels of accuracy are you getting out of your .50? I'd hope for 2 MOA or less. Certainly not necessary for pig work, but I like to shoot groups not patterns.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to throw another iron into the fire, stir Bushmaster has announced a 45 Bushmaster. According to their web site, it was developed in conjunction with Hornady, which would lead to speculation that brass might be available at a reasonable cost. Hornady doesn't have any info on their site, and the whole thing is "coming soon" Big Grin

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ramrod:

I'm always glad to hear of a business doing well, and Red River Arms may well be 3 months behind in their .223 deliveries, but they told my gun dealer that they had not made ANY .458s yet. This seems to be common in the gun industry, hyping a new product long before you get it out the door.

Thanks for that info. I knew my ex boss had ordered a 223 and they told him 6-12 weeks. I was thinking of a 458 to put on my bottom. I "assumed" the same delivery time. Interesting that they have not delivered one yet.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote