New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new bolt handle welded on a mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone recommend someone to weld on a new bolt handle? It is a small ring mauser that I picked up at a gunshow. The previous owner poorly modified the handle and I would like to have it replaced and done right.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1 seems to be very happy with the guy he mentions in this thread. https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/312100957

And from what I see it looks good to me.

Did you get a small ring 98 or is it a pre-98?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem721 - it is actually a FN model 93. I never came across a FN 93 so I grabbed it. Other that the total crap job on the bolt handle, it is in very nice condition

Jim - I did not receive your e-mail, but I sent you a PM.

Thanks!

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe will do you an excellent job.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rem721:
TC1 seems to be very happy with the guy he mentions in this thread. https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/312100957

And from what I see it looks good to me.

Did you get a small ring 98 or is it a pre-98?

That guy is Z1R.
His posts with pictures of welded bolts over on Sporterizing Firearms got me and my brother to stop bending bolts and bought a couple of TIG welders.
$ thousands later, I am still learning how to TIG weld killpc

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlp335:
Can anyone recommend someone to weld on a new bolt handle? It is a small ring mauser that I picked up at a gunshow. The previous owner poorly modified the handle and I would like to have it replaced and done right.

Thanks!!!

This is a very common, simple modification. It does not take a top-of-the-line, custom riflesmith to do this correctly. Most anyone who is a TRAINED, EXPERIENCED gunsmith can do it right. Yes, I realize there are a bunch of turkeys out there who CLAIM to be gunsmiths, that no-one should trust to do anything, but if you go to one of the big boys, you may have to wait awhile for your bolt!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mike McCabe is the guy you need to contact. He is the one that TC1 mentioned in his thread.
Mike posts on this forum as z1r and does some nice work as several people on this forum can attest and an all around nice guy.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:

This is a very common, simple modification. It does not take a top-of-the-line, custom riflesmith to do this correctly. Most anyone who is a TRAINED, EXPERIENCED gunsmith can do it right. Yes, I realize there are a bunch of turkeys out there who CLAIM to be gunsmiths, that no-one should trust to do anything, but if you go to one of the big boys, you may have to wait awhile for your bolt!

Some things are worth waiting for. One of the first things a real afficianado notices is the bolt handle. Welding is only part of the equation. Sculpting the handle is another. I know many (ok, 2 or 3) top of the line smiths that don't do their own welding. They farm that out but make the handle & shape them to blend perfectly with the bolt body.

Request pics of their work, it makes it easier to tell them what you want when you have a pic to refer to. My 2 cents.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have to add my vote for Mike Mccabe (Z1R) - his work is excellent to say the least. he wont let anything less than perfect leave his shop. Plus he is a heck of a nice guy to deal with. he just finished a bolt handle for me and he has a couple more of mine for the same treatment.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second that opinion. Here's a shot of one he did for me:

quote:

(note to self; get my next bolt in line before the rush...)

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's the way I like 'emSmiler

can I ask which manufacturer's handle that is?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Talley handle.

P.S. Sorry the picture is so huge. How does one size photos to fit? Other places auto-size with the option to click on the picture to enlarge, but I don't know how to force this feature.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a good, free, small, photo editing program is "irfanview"-

http://www.irfanview.com/

if you like, download it and use it to reduce the size of images, etc. it's a simple, stand-alone program (it doesn't share files with other programs). it's been around forever and it works.

all I did was crop this one, and reduced it's quality a little, bringing it from 670K to 130K:

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tin Can, I'll check it out.