Notify
Tools

Going rate to repoint checking?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Hi All,

I stumbled upon a used Anschutz 17 HMR that someone had taken the liberty of sanding off the points of the checkering. It has a nice stick of wood, decent refinish and is shooting awesome, so while its basically a “truck gun” I’d like it to be a bit more presentable by having the checkering recut.

Since I have the patience of an over-heated rattle snake and the hand-eye coordination of an epileptic sloth… I’m not going to attempt it myself. As my friend Mike Dettorre says, “My best gunsmithing tool is my checkbook.”

A gentleman I’ve used for stock repair quoted $450 to recut the checking. He did great repair work in the past so if that’s the going rate I’ll gladly pay him to do it, but I wanted to check to see if that’s a common price for a re-point job.

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although it depends on the checkering pattern, coverage, and lines per inch, it seems to me to be extremely over priced. I have a lady who used to checker at Bishop Gunstocks back in the day who does my checkering work. I would highly recommend her. If you want her contact info, shoot me a PM.
Phil

Posts: 359 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look up[ ahlmans.com carol does a super job of checkering cheap

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Give Clint a call. 816 525-2318

http://www.cgm-gunstockcheckering.com/frame.htm

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Seems high too me

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is highway robbery. I have Ahlmans do all my checkering, but last time I checked Carol said she was going to retire. I told her she couldn't.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Repointing checkering is a DIY job.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that guy charges per hour...who does that!!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I won't do checkering anymore. Not worth it. I would never be able to pay the bills. It's easier to farm it out to people who want to do it for nothing. The problem is that most of those guys do it for 2 or 3 years and quit in disgust when they figure out that they are working for $20 dollars an hour. ! LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
$450 would be a fair price for a complete job, but I sharpen up a stock for right around $100.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last two Anschutz I recut proved indeed to be a complete job. The wood used is not great checkering material. Kyler, good to see your posting here. Yes, I quoted the price.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
one gets what one pays for -- usually ...

this is about the extent of my skill in checkering - and when i was doing this, a 4 panel repoint would have been $125 ---

but this doesn't sound like that -- if they are sanded down enough to be an issue, well, it could become a tarpit in about 90 secounds ... though that might be the last 90 seconds i had planned for the job ...

$125 would be a fair price for a good piece of wood that has a good chance of a good job ...

$250 isn't high --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my perspective, recutting old checkering is the dirtiest job out there and often times results in great frustration; you run into all of the original mistakes and then have to try and fix them. I would rather start a new patterm. Mr. DES is spot on with his estimate. If you can get it done for $100, go for it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta' love those calls wanting to know "how much to", and then when it shows up at the shop, its a lot more than described over the phone. Some jobs just can't, and shouldn't be quoted without having the 'work' in your hands to examine it for yourself.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
I won't do checkering anymore. Not worth it. I would never be able to pay the bills. It's easier to farm it out to people who want to do it for nothing. The problem is that most of those guys do it for 2 or 3 years and quit in disgust when they figure out that they are working for $20 dollars an hour. ! LOL

$20 per hour sounds pretty good to me. I can't get it done that fast. Hard to keep my attention fixed for a long period of time.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, that is highway robbery. I have Ahlmans do all my checkering, but last time I checked Carol said she was going to retire. I told her she couldn't.

popcorn It sounds like Carol is getting sick of working for you whiny fawkers for $20 per hour ! he he he

Where have I heard T H A T before !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whatever happened to charitable good works?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
whatever happened to charitable good works?

popcorn Yeah !
What lindy2 said.

Why don't people ever just come in and give me money without expecting me to drop everything and fix something for them in 5 minutes?

Whatever happened to charitable good works?
LOL

Rod Henrickson