THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best varmint cal. that fits a mod 70 .308 action.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best varmint cal. that fits a mod 70 .308 action.
 Login/Join

posted
I have access to a good shape mod 70 in .308. I already shoot a 6.5x55 and a 30-378wby. and would like to build an excellent long range varmint rifle,but yet easy enough to reload.??????. any suggestions.
P.S. this gun will only have maybe 200 rounds tops fired through it a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for the .243.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
.243 Ackley Improved 40 degree shoulder.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

" Without a doubt --6mm06 imp.--26" barrel Twist it to handle the 85gr + varmint bullets. "

SINGLE SHOT you won't need a fast second

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If I was going to do only 200 rounds a year, I would go for an overbore that you could really load the snot out of. Something like a 1:8 twist 22/243 and load the 75-80 grain bullets in or a 1:10 twist 6mm/284 loaded with 70-85 grain varmint bullets. This way nothing you can see is out of range.
I think that you'll probably wind up shoot more as you get to liking it, and then you can change the burned out barrel for a 22/250 or something.

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt --6mm06 imp.--26" barrel Twist it to handle the 85gr + varmint bullets.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.220 Swift, 26" sporter weight SS barrel 1-12 twist.

I had a pre 64 M 70 rebarreled to .220 Swift. It's perfect in every way. I now prefer it to the .243 Win. I can see the bullets hit, it shoots flatter, less richocets and maybe less noise.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first choice would be a 6mm Remington. I think I would use a 12 twist barrel for use with 85gr bullets. A 10 twist will alow you to use 100s if you want to. 107s require an 8.
My first choice in a 22 cal would be the 22-250. I am not a fan of overbore wildcats simply because they seldom perform to expectations and if they do it's not for long because the barrel is gone in short order.
I really like the 220 Swift but the semi-rimmed case can create some feeding problems.
Another 22 which works very well is the 22BR. Because it is so short some mag mods may be necessary but it comes awfully close to the 22-250 in performance. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If I was going to shoot it a lot, I'd probably buy another bolt, build a .223 Remington,and put a brake on it so I could "spot" all my own shots.

If I wanted something hot and thought I might end up selling it some day relatively soon (a year or two), I'd probably open the existing bolt face to make a .223 or .243 WSM...a rifle chambered for a new factory cartridge always sells relatively easily on the used market.

If I was going to keep it possibly forever and only shoot at relatively rare targets (20-30 shots per day of hunting) like woodchucks, rock-chucks, etc., I'd go with one of: the 6-BR with a 1-in-8 or 9" twist, a .220 swift with a 1-in-12" twist, or a 6 m/m Remington with a 1-in-9" twist.

I've made the 500 yard club on p-dogs lots of times with the .223 though, so would likely just go there and use a 1-in-8 twist with 75-80 gr. bullets if I wanted to pot any and all small critters within 600-700 yards. May take 2 or 3 shots to walk the bullet on in the prairie winds, but most of those critters don't shoot back and I don't have to hit every single one I shoot at for it to be fun.

Pick what looks good for you at the distances and for the sizes of varmints you shoot at. There isn't any "perfect for everything" round.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
two four three

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
.22-250.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Without a doubt --6mm06 imp.--26" barrel Twist it to handle the 85gr + varmint bullets.

How the heck is an -06 wildcat going to fit into a .308 action???

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

"How the heck is an -06 wildcat going to fit into a .308 action??? "

If you notice my following post said single shot. That's been done. I also have a number of mod.98 single shots in full magnum length cartridges. But I must admitt you are on your toes. roger