New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser cocking piece needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where I can get a cocking piece for a CD action? Will a military one work?
Confused
I was working on a Model 70 safety conversion and my milling machine screwed up Frowner and cut too much off.
Since I never make mistakes I can't understand how it happened Roll Eyes

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
A military will work, but it won't be as smooth when cocking it.

have a buddy tig it up and reshape. then heat it in kasenit and harden AFTER you have it working right. Make certain the camming surface (nose) stays HARD

I keep telling folks "you are just barely breaking that corner"!... how do I know that? because i've screwed up enough, too

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38638 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you take too much off and how much did you eat away? The cocking piece, sear, and safety all work together in a fairly narrow range of acceptable measurements. If you took too much off one surface, you can likely take a little more off the other surface and get the relationship back in order. THe cocking piece will then .010" or whatever more inside the shroud than it would have otherwise been, but that won't hurt anything.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A military will work, but it won't be as smooth when cocking it.

Didn't someone determine a couple weeks ago that because the military wasn't flat on the bottom that it would allow the sear to rise and lock the action as you tried to open the bolt.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolland,

I just went through this about a month or two ago on my Mark X - you could find the thread here.

The Mauser cocking piece differs in at least three ways.

1) The bottom of the Mauser part has a big notch where the Mark X (and I assume CD?) is simply flat-bottomed. Unless you fill the notch, you will need to pull the trigger to open the bolt after a shot. I "temporarily" used bedding compound to fill mine. Functions perfectly.

2) The convenient hole through the cocking piece of the Mark X to facilite assembly is merely a notch at the right rear on the Mauser part. A minor hassle to revert to, requiring a tool... I use 1/2" of the head end of a 16 penny nail - easy to "make" and it works great.

3) The back end of the Mauser part is shorter by about 1/16", leaving the end of the firing pin protruding that much. Strictly cosmetic.

Hope this helps!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul,
i checked my 376, but IIRC, it's a markX trigger(iirc) (one of those 3pos safeties I had) with a military cocking piece.

here's a pic - resized it

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38638 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut the angle to severe on the front due to a trigger problem (I was using the CD trigger), I was not aware of, I since got a Timmey trigger and used another cocking piece I had in a spare CD action. It works great. So now I need to either replace it or get another.
I don't have anyone in the area I would trust to tig it back so I may have to locate another.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
If you have a CD action, it probably came with a speed lock bolt and cocking piece. The speed lock cocking piece is not interchangeable with the older style Mk-X cocking piece. S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the Mauser piece is not a speed-locker. Wink

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The CD are all speed lock. As were the later MKX the early MKX and M98 are not. Davis May yamyor38@pld.com did have some of the Daly cocking pieces when I bought one about 2 months ago.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The difference between speed lock bolts and cocking pieces versus standard are shown below:

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South 40
Thanks for clearing that up, Looks like I will weld up mine if I don't find another.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Contact Rob Reeves reevesr@pld.com.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340
Thanks for the address, I contacted him and was advised he had one. jumping

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the address, I contacted him and was advised he had one.

Love it when a plan comes together. cheers

As usual just my $.02
Paul K